Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

600 yd rifle for Elk & Deer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2013, 09:43 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 600 yd rifle for Elk & Deer

sendero or laredo or equivalent; and a leup 4.5-14 or 6.5-20 cds.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkie62 View Post
My first post other than my initial welcome post.Been out of touch for a number of years because of work,kids house building etc.I have a number of different rifles in many calibers.I am looking to purchase a reasonable rifle/scope combination for Deer and Elk that will be effective out to maybe 600 yds.I have taken deer in the range of 290 -325 yds with a single shot but looking to up the anti when I go out west more often.
One option I have is to use my Rem 700 ADL in 7mm mag and use that as a base to build on.One problem I have with the gun is I have to load the magazine with the cartridges forward or the bolt will not go back far enough to engage the shell.
I will be reloading also and I have a 200 yd range right outside my kitchen door !!!!

I am open to suggestions on caliber and scope but was thinking along the lines of a Nikon Monarch or Leupold VariX-3.Would like to have a lighted reticle for low light conditions. Thanks Ed
You really don't want or need a full on long range rifle for doing some very good shooting to 800ish yards which is what you'll need to be shooting to be dialed in for 600 yard hunting, you can easily get carried away with stocks, barrels and scopes and take a perfect all round hunting rifle with an extended capability and turn it into an unwieldy behemoth!!

The 7 mag is fine for elk at 600 yards and going bigger also bring more unnecessary recoil which you'll have to deal with. If your rifle shoots well just make it more functional, stocks change, get it bedded, tune the trigger, trim the bolt stop or whatever is hanging your bolt up and tune a load.

I've worked with a couple bone stock Rem 700 ADL 7mags that all they needed was a little tune up and a load and they were good 600 yard hunting rifles.

A Vortex PST in the 2.5-10x44 would be awesome for your needs and keeps your rifle functional for the entire 600 yards!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 12-02-2013, 10:54 PM
Bronze Member

Not Happy With Responses..........Too many good ideas .Now how do I decide ? Appreciate all the great help and ideas being given to me for only my first post.Thank you ,I may have some more questions as I go along here.
Old 12-03-2013, 12:30 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkie62 View Post
Not Happy With Responses..........Too many good ideas .Now how do I decide ? Appreciate all the great help and ideas being given to me for only my first post.Thank you ,I may have some more questions as I go along here.
Just let us know...We'll all be glad to help. That's what these forums are for.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:37 AM
Bronze Member

Well on the bolt not going back ,it seems like a fair amount --maybe close to 1/8" that the shell can go back without the bolt being able to grab it.I had thought about sending my gun out to Hill Country for some work after the first of the year.Anyone could post or pm me other available options. Thanks
Old 12-03-2013, 08:46 AM
Platinum Member

I will say Hill Country is awesome and I am sure they can help.
Old 12-03-2013, 11:30 AM
Gold Member

Location: Sagauache County, Co...3170 sq miles, not a single stop light!

I will chime in here with my 2 cents worth.... I agree with bigngreen's comments. I started out in this LRH stuff with a pure stock Remington 700 BDL that I bought used/cheap, thinking I would use it as a donor to build on, but after shooting it I decided I did not need anything more. Being a tinkerer, and liking gun work I pillar bedded and free floated the original stock, adjusted the original trigger, tuned a load with 168gr SMK"S and this gun is still a 1/4" tackdriver with a cheap BSA scope, and it will handle anything you want to do out to 1k yards. Remingtons, especially the older ones, were known for their accuracy right out of the box with very little work.
There is nothing wrong with wanting bigger/better, but this is a very good platform to start with and learn from. AJ