Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

600 yd rifle for Elk & Deer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2013, 12:55 AM
Bronze Member

600 yd rifle for Elk & Deer

My first post other than my initial welcome post.Been out of touch for a number of years because of work,kids house building etc.I have a number of different rifles in many calibers.I am looking to purchase a reasonable rifle/scope combination for Deer and Elk that will be effective out to maybe 600 yds.I have taken deer in the range of 290 -325 yds with a single shot but looking to up the anti when I go out west more often.
One option I have is to use my Rem 700 ADL in 7mm mag and use that as a base to build on.One problem I have with the gun is I have to load the magazine with the cartridges forward or the bolt will not go back far enough to engage the shell.
I will be reloading also and I have a 200 yd range right outside my kitchen door !!!!

I am open to suggestions on caliber and scope but was thinking along the lines of a Nikon Monarch or Leupold VariX-3.Would like to have a lighted reticle for low light conditions. Thanks Ed
Old 12-02-2013, 02:04 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 600 yd rifle for Elk & Deer

7mm RM is an excellent caliber. You could always just buy a cheap B&C Medist stock and a $150 BDL conversion kit from Brownells and you would convert your ADL to a hinged floorplate BDL rifle. You'd be in the hole about $400 for the stock & BDL setup. Which leaves more money for optics.

For scope, here's exactly what I would buy if I was in your shoes...And get an EGW HD base, and some Vortex rings.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/984...la=ProductDesc

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:00 AM
Platinum Member

300 win mag could be a conversion option or go the route the gentleman about mentioned but have it reamed into a 7 STW, depending on the twist rate of your barrel. The 180-195 grain 7 mm could do the trick still.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:52 AM
Platinum Member

From my experience with lighted cross hairs, dots etc. I would not waste my money. When it gets low light enough for them to be any benefit, yes you can see the cross hairs but the glow from the light washes out your intended target. Even on the Zeiss scopes with the little lighted dot turned down as low as it will go it washes out a deer standing out in a open field. I would suggest getting a cross hair like the #8 on the Zeiss scopes, or one of the European style with the heavy thick cross hairs that are about 3/4 the length then come to a fine center. You can see these well even well past legal shooting light. Don't scrimp on a scope. Get a good Leupold, Zeiss or even take a good look at the Meopta. Meopta makes a really good scope. I have a Meopta Meostar 3-12X56 30mm tube that I just love on my 264 Win mag. Leupold probably makes the best scope for the money that has all the bells and whistles for dialing your shots though.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:15 AM

I killed a bull elk this year@ 608 yards with a browning x bolt, 7mm Remington mag, 168 gr Berger vld. Topped with vortex viper pst. One shot kill. The gun will put every shot inside an MOA all day long at 1000 yards. I bet your 700 will do comparable with some work
Old 12-02-2013, 12:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etisll40 View Post
300 win mag could be a conversion option or go the route the gentleman about mentioned but have it reamed into a 7 STW, depending on the twist rate of your barrel. The 180-195 grain 7 mm could do the trick still.
While I am one of the biggest 7mm STW advocates on here, I must say that for only 600 yard shots, the 7mm RM is a more than capable round, even out to 1,000. Alot of folks underestimate the power of the 7mm RM.

A 7mm RM handloaded with Berger 180 Hybrids (using my rifle and calculations) can be pushed around 2,853 fps...That's more than a capable 1,000 yard round. At 1,000 yards it will still be carrying 1,656 fps, and 1,097 ft. lbs of energy. Which is more than enough to kill any big game here on this continent. At his maximum estimated distance of 600 yards, my 7mm RM/Berger 180 Hybrid load will still be pushing 2,089 fps, and 1,744 ft. lbs of energy.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:28 PM
Silver Member

I would stay with the 7mm, for your 600 yard shooting. You could step down to the SAUM or the WSM. But in theses days of huge mags, the Rem Mag is often overlooked.

Also, IMO, for 600 or less. A good 160, 162 or 168gr bullet will do the trick just fine. With a little less drop. I personally use the 139 SST for whitetails out to 400 yards, very flat. Would not personally use that bullet on elk. Would not hesitate to use the 162 SST.

Rifle is your choice to upgrade or change. Some good points already.

I really like Ziess scopes , 3-15 would be great. Viper PST is great to, but heavier. Love the fine reticle of the viper.

Have fun.