Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

6 to 8 months for a barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2012, 02:14 PM
Silver Member

6 to 8 months for a barrel

Any ideas why its taking so long to get barrels harts seems to be six months out. Is it demand or the just in time business model. Or " not so just in time". Just curious im in no hurry just wondering.
Old 10-13-2012, 02:54 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 6 to 8 months for a barrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by snox801 View Post
Any ideas why its taking so long to get barrels harts seems to be six months out. Is it demand or the just in time business model. Or " not so just in time". Just curious im in no hurry just wondering.

It is the demand. All of the quality barrel makers are a minimum of 12 weeks.

The anti- gun nuts are trying to stop us from buying fire arms, ammo, loading componants
and everything else. so people are hoarding all related items.

J E CUSTOM
Old 10-13-2012, 03:12 PM
Silver Member

Makes sense thanks.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:44 PM
Platinum Member

I called Kreiger yesterday to get a status on my barrel. I asked if my wait of 10 months (so far) is normal. I was told yes and they are quoting folks 7+ months. Still no word when mine will get shipped.

The people trying to say the 2nd Amendment is outdated are probably the same folks that would say the same thing about the Bible.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:55 PM
Silver Member

Sounds about right I was told 8 months. Sounds like a good business opportunity.
Old 10-13-2012, 05:57 PM
SPONSOR

Sure! Ought to jump right on that! AH! Wait a minute,,,,, there aren't any used sine bar rifling machines to be had. Only luck would put you on one. Could build Bill Webbs rifling machine from scratch. OK,, we'll button rifle barrels. AH! NO machine! Another "I'll have to design and build "! Deep hole drilling? Definately need a a true hole, that's nice and smooth, before either rifling method is attempted. And, oh yes, then barrels will need to be contoured, unless everyone can live with 1 1/4" no taper. Be kinda' heavy to tote around a 8,000ft., or much of anywhere, for that matter. From the truck to the bench! Experience "hand lappin",,,,, like I said,, EXPERIENCE. I've seen lots of written material on "HOW",,,, the question is how many do you ruin and re-bore to a larger caliber before ya' figure the 'tricks' out to doing it right.And then there's steel. 4140HT isn't hard to come by, unless you're gonna' be picky about the consistancy. There is some good CM to be had. Stainless steel you say? Seems every custom barrel maker has their prefered 'blend'. It comes by the truck load,,, that's 40,000 lbs. +. And finally, the skillls needed to set-up and operate these machine tools. Buttons? Hart still makes theirs in house as I'm sure others who button rifle do, too. Cutters for "cut rifling"? Those will have to be made 'in house', too. That means "tool making" experience and the tool and cutter grinders to make those tools/buttons with. By the time ya' had this all figured out, the "crunch" could be over. Wasn't that long ago I could order a barrel and have it in 4-6 weeks at my shop door. Not for the faint of hart. Only for those who know they can "build a better mouse trap" and have the time and resources to follow their dream. And, if the mouse trap is better,,,,,, profit!
Old 10-13-2012, 06:52 PM
Gold Member

was four months for my Benchmark