Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

6.5X47 Lap imp Quick Load help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2011, 03:42 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 6.5X47 Lap imp Quick Load help.

That is a beautiful piece of wood.

Steve
Old 02-15-2011, 08:43 PM
Platinum Member

Steve, I might be the poster implying that you were lying..
This was not my intention, but instead to flag a dangerously erroneous load posted for all readers. My direct implication is that I do not believe your numbers. That you are mistaken. I've been too busy to assemble a postible QL shot for you. I'll try here.

I drew a 6.5x47L improved with a 35deg shoulder via moving shoulder up(to provide higher capacity from the case) in 'Cartridge Designer'. This indicated ~51grH20 capacity.
Then I run your numbers in QL with a similar case set at 51grH20. I assumed bullets touching lands to get highest velocity from the load, and seated a 140gr BT bullet for your COAL.
I get ~2850, at very high pressures. I could calibrate any notion but pressures would continue to climb before a match to your results could be reached.
I'm aware that overpressure loads are the latest trend to smaller grouping. But this is not beneficial to hunting, and would serve only to overun the reloading board with oversizing problems(like it isn't already)..
Old 02-15-2011, 10:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikecr View Post
Steve, I might be the poster implying that you were lying..
This was not my intention, but instead to flag a dangerously erroneous load posted for all readers. My direct implication is that I do not believe your numbers. That you are mistaken. I've been too busy to assemble a postible QL shot for you. I'll try here.

I drew a 6.5x47L improved with a 35deg shoulder via moving shoulder up(to provide higher capacity from the case) in 'Cartridge Designer'. This indicated ~51grH20 capacity.
Then I run your numbers in QL with a similar case set at 51grH20. I assumed bullets touching lands to get highest velocity from the load, and seated a 140gr BT bullet for your COAL.
I get ~2850, at very high pressures. I could calibrate any notion but pressures would continue to climb before a match to your results could be reached.
I'm aware that overpressure loads are the latest trend to smaller grouping. But this is not beneficial to hunting, and would serve only to overun the reloading board with oversizing problems(like it isn't already)..
Fair enough. My weight measurement for water came to 49.5g. My intention was never to lead any one to a dangerous load. Again the only other variable is the Gun Juice treatment. Past treatments have shown from 25fps gain to 100fps gain. This particular barrel was never shot with out GJ. So I do not know what kind of gain it produced. We have since treated every new barrel with the product prior to break in. What pressure did QL show at 2850fps?

As stated before by Kevin, not seeing any pressure signs does not mean that we are not overpressure.

So, this brings me to my next question. With these wildcat cartridges, how does one know when you have reached pressure?

Thanks,

Steve

PS. It has a 40 deg shoulder.

Last edited by RockyMtnMT; 02-15-2011 at 11:58 PM.