Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

6.5 x 284 Build-Am I on the right road

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2013, 10:29 AM
Silver Member

Re: 6.5 x 284 Build-Am I on the right road

Of course, there is nothing wrong with Hart barrels. They make outstanding barrels.

I usually looked at the benchrest rifles and the equipment they use, and there are not many Hart barrels, only Lilji, Krieger, Benchrest, and Bartlein.

Your rifle will shoot very accurate with Hart barrel anyway.
Old 12-08-2013, 12:09 AM
Platinum Member

If I recall correctly, History will show that Hart and Shilen bbls have won more competitions than any other. The latest hot rods are Krieger and Bartlein.

The advantage to going a bit heavier in contour is sustained accuracy potential with better inherent consistency
Old 12-08-2013, 07:50 AM
Platinum Member

I think your pick of components is excellent. I have had great success with Hart barrels. Having spent a lot of time as a wildcat with subtle but differing chamber specs I like to get specific with the details of the barrel/chamber with the smith. If you plan on using 130-140 VLD's, Lapua brass, I'd specify that for chamber/neck, and lead dimensions. I have found dimensions to vary between barrel makers, and it will make a difference. I'd also get a 1:8 twist. Use and preference dictates barrel weight, but if you are looking at a lot of long range work you might condider a heavier, fluted barrel which could provide a more stable shooting platform, and IMO balances better with the A3 stock, and heavier NF scope. Of course this all depends on what your rifle weight target is. I really like the McMillan A3 for a long range hunting stock with the sporter fill. It is comfortable, weighted nicely, and versatile for all shooting positions, and the quality and fit is exceptional. I am also a big fan of the Nightforce G7. I've been using one for a couple of years and it has become my favorite, largely due to the reticle design, and custom turrets available that have both MOA and yardage on a single turret.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt