Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

6.5 x 284 Build-Am I on the right road

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2013, 05:30 PM

6.5 x 284 Build-Am I on the right road

Good day all. this is my first post although I've been coming to this sight for quite some time now.

I want to take the leap and put the components together for a 6.5 x 284 hunting rifle. I currently own a custom rifle that was built by Gunwerks. Now I want something of my own creation so tmy parts list consist of the following:
1-Bat Action-HR
2-Hart Barrel
3-Manner/McMillian Stock-?
4-Jewel Trigger
5-G7 Nightforce NXS 5.5-22x50 scope
6-Bat Rings

Decision to be made on the stock. Other than that I think I'm set. Action & trigger ordered. Shouldn't be a long lead time ont he scope.

For you guys with experience, am I going in the right direction?

Thanks in advance-as I've seen how the members here help each other I felt comfortable psoting this here.
Old 12-05-2013, 06:25 PM
Gold Member

Re: 6.5 x 284 Build-Am I on the right road

I built two in the last yr and both are on the McMillan A3 Sporter stock. I like the stock for both free hand and off a bag. I have both the standard (260 rem) and the edge (7 SAUM) which saves about 1/2lb over the standard. Downside is Rem Varmint is the heaviest contour that will fit the A3 Sporter. Upside my 7 SAUM with a Rem Varmint contour is 8.5lbs without scope and both shoots in the .2-.3"s
Old 12-05-2013, 07:32 PM
Silver Member

No, I think you should send me the components and rethink this whole thing. I have several builds and all are in McMillan A5s as I like the way they feel. You are going to be happy with either one post pics when you are done.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:35 PM
Silver Member

Looks like you are on the right road....

The equipment you choose is pretty good. I wasn't sure about Hart barrel. There is nothing wrong with it. I just like Krieger, Lilji or Benchrest barrel.
Old 12-05-2013, 09:24 PM

Thanks guys.

No fear would you care to give pros and cons on the barrel selection.

The Hart barrel I'm considering is a #3 contour 8 twist.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soileauj View Post
Thanks guys.

No fear would you care to give pros and cons on the barrel selection.

The Hart barrel I'm considering is a #3 contour 8 twist.
Hart makes the finest button rifled barrels in the world. No worries. There is NO CON when it comes to Hart barrels. I have many, as well as some Liljas, which are excellent. You may want to consider a bit bigger contour and maybe flute it though. My 6.5-284 has a Bartlein and is basically a #3.5 contour. Muzzle diameter is around .650-.675.
Old 12-05-2013, 10:13 PM

Thanks Derek. I plan on getting fluted. I spoke with the gunsmith at Hart and he was the one that recommended the 3 contour. I no knowledge when it comes to the technical side of rifle building so any information is much appreciated. What's the advantage of going with a bigger contour?