Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

6.5 WSM testing results

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2003, 01:18 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 6.5 WSM testing results

Sam,

what OAL are you using for the 140's? Dads is built on a 700 LA and is using a 3.1" OAL on them, the 123's are 3.080" long.

They scream!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-30-2003, 03:23 PM
Silver Member

Brent,

That's nice to know. The prints I have are from JGS 06/12/2001. Interesting that the dimensions either changed or perhaps this was before the advent of the "Winchester" 7mmSM. In any case, this is the chamber He put in the gun, so, I guess it's now a wildcat.

Now that I think about it, he bought a box of 7mm WSM cartridges to measure so we could make a drawing for the chamber and I don't remember them being visibly longer than the 300 Brass that came later. I had him get 300 brass because of the extra neck thickness from the resize process. In retrospect, the necks never got thicker so it never helped.

I'll have to investigate this more. I do know that with a turned neck, the factory rounds He bought will chamber in his gun.

If you have a fax, get me the number and I'll send ya the prints I have. See if they compare to your guns (which I guess You're saying they won't). Interesting.
Old 03-30-2003, 04:59 PM
Platinum Member

4mesh,

check this page, this is what you're looking for... http://www.shortmags.org/shortmags/r...dimensions.htm [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

Don't have a fax, but the 300 is the same as your brothers and my fathers to the shoulder. They are all the same OAL, but the 7wsm has a .50" shorter neck than the 300, so that's where they robbed the extra shoulder length from. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

He should be able to chamber the factory 7wsm stuff if he needs a new throat yet by just running the reamer in another .038" though, shouldn't even have to set the barrel back on this one. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

My dads going to get the Norma 300wsm brass next time, maybe they'll grow in thickness a little, we'll see. He's got about .004" total clearance by comparing formed ones with loaded ones that had a couple thou turned off them, should get back a thou or so anyway and be closer to .002" total.
Old 03-30-2003, 06:27 PM
Silver Member

No rechamber comming here, the gun shoots consistant 10s at 1000. This gun is not reamed anyhow so a rechamber operation is a little more in depth than that. I'll go now and check the SMags.org to see the differences. Obvoiusly, there are some.

Thanks.
Old 03-30-2003, 06:45 PM
Silver Member

Brent,

I picked up 50 Norma brass for my brothers gun last fall. They were real nice as fas as consistancy. There was NO noticible increase in thickness in the neck after going down to 7mm. Not even .001. It did help having to resize down for concentricity though. More forming = More chance to straighten up. We're a bit on the lazy side as cases go. Everything is automated. The Norma brass cleaned up inside and out on 48 out of 50 peices. The Winchester brass was good for about 15 out of 50.

Look for the brass to grow nore longer than thicker.

However, The Winchester brass is still in use except the ones that the primer ockets went loose on, and his Norma brass has almost all failed at the head. He's probably got 6 or 700 rounds through the gun on those brass. The norma brass lives about 3-5 firings. I got 416 brass that did the same thing last year so be sure get new stuff. My new 416's are gonna live forever.
Old 03-31-2003, 12:29 AM

I have two different 6.5 WSM reamers, one for short actions and one for long actions and ultra long bullets. Both have 35 degree shoulders and slightly improved tapers. This cartridge ROCKS! I will post some data late this week on the longer of the two set-ups. [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-31-2003, 01:31 AM
Platinum Member

Is there something new with the new Norma brass or something? If not, sounds like he'd be better off stickin with the Winchester if it's that bad?

Thanks for the tip on the Leica Rangefinder's LED blinding affect at dusk. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] I'll have to check them out and see how it does compared to my YP1000.