Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

6.5 WSM- First Day at The Range- **UPDATED-10-8

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2012, 08:53 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 6.5 WSM- First Day at The Range- **UPDATED-9-24

Outlaw, i just ran the ballistics, at 4000 ft and 60* you hit 1800 fps at 1470 yards with 941 ft lbs and 5.6 MOA of wind drift in a 10 mph wind!! Thats crazy!! It hits transonic velocity at 2280 yards!!!

I'm 16
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/

My guess on W3P .308 230 Grain Bullet: G1 .740-.755
Old 09-25-2012, 08:54 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 6.5 WSM- First Day at The Range- **UPDATED-9-24

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoCTD View Post
Looks like I might have to get some N-570 to trying in my new toy. I put together a 6.5-300 win mag. Friday night and shot it a bit this weekend. I throated it for 140 Amax's so that is what I'll be focusing on. It seemed to have a preference for Retumbo so I've loaded up some more and I'll probably shoot it in the morning. I was getting some erratic pressure signs because of too little neck clearance. I think PTG made my reamer a little tight so I lightly turn the necks.

Mine is a SS Rem. 700 action with a 28" Bartlein spiral fluted 8 twist Rem. Varm. contour. It's in a HS 5R stock with a Jewell triggers and a Zeiss 4.5x14.

One thing I noted about N-570, the kernel sizes are ENORMOUS. I was a little worried about powder bridging... didn't bother it though. Because of the shear size of the powder, I was concerned that i'd run out of room before & got enough pressure. It looks as though, with the bearing surface/boat tail junction set right at or slightly above the neck/shoulder junction N-570 seems to be just about perfect. It should yield max pressure right where powder compression starts to come into play.

I very seriously considered the 6.5-300WM & was headed that route when I got a rediculous deal on that short action.

I have the tools to turn necks and just don't like it what a PITA.
Good luck & let us know if that fixes the issue.

t

Old 10-08-2012, 09:22 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 6.5 WSM- First Day at The Range- **UPDATED-10-8

Morning guys, I debated puting this in the Deer section but since this already established for me & peeps were lookin for kill pics, here you go. It took me over an hour to get into a position where I could take my shot (the sagebrush is kind tall ).

655 yards with the 130 G05 CEB, the terminal results I will post in another thread. Please excuse the cell phone picture... can't remember to bring everything I guess Go easy on me, I'm still teaching dad how to photograph lol

6.5 WSM- First Day at The Range- **UPDATED-10-8-tylers-muley2.jpg

Here's another,very nobby from the bases all the way to the first branch (hard on the hands).

6.5 WSM- First Day at The Range- **UPDATED-10-8-tylers-muley3.jpg

Enjoy Guys,

t

Old 10-08-2012, 04:56 PM
Platinum Member

Very nice - congrats.

Post a link in this thread to your new 'terminal results' thread (and save me from having to search for it!)
Old 10-08-2012, 05:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebark View Post
Very nice - congrats.

Post a link in this thread to your new 'terminal results' thread (and save me from having to search for it!)

Ask & ye shall Receive!
Terminal Performance of 6.5mm 130gr CEB - Page 3 - LongRangeHunting Online Magazine

t

Old 01-02-2013, 12:04 PM
Gold Member

TJ,

Nice job buddy. Glad to know your new rifle is working for you. We'll be finishing up your other project here very soon. Plan to have it done for this month's build list.

Again, congrats!

Chad

Chad Dixon
LongRifles, Inc.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NesikaChad View Post
TJ,

Nice job buddy. Glad to know your new rifle is working for you. We'll be finishing up your other project here very soon. Plan to have it done for this month's build list.

Again, congrats!

Chad

Chad Dixon
LongRifles, Inc.

Chad, did you get lost?! I thought you forgot about us poor folk here on LRH, we sure could use a couple build threads here.... not that you aren't busy enough. Yeah, the 6.5 sure kills errr "stuff"... Give me a call when you start my 7SAUM to discuss the details.

Thanks for the kind words,