Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

6.5 WSM- First Day at The Range- **UPDATED-10-8

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2012, 10:55 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 6.5 WSM- First Day at The Range- **UPDATED-9-24

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.O. Shooter View Post
Outlaw,

Curious to know if that would effect the barrel harmonics?

Right? Most will tell you that anything touching the barrel will effect harmonics, how much is anyone's guess. As I wrote in my post, I had already shot that load & wanted to both verify the accuracy & get a reading on the speed. The weight of the unit is in the ounces area, VERY lightweight & attached to the MTU contour barrel, i'm not very scared of it. There was a long running review on SH about the Magnetospeed, most stated a POI change with zero effects on accuracy.

t

Old 09-24-2012, 11:15 AM
Platinum Member

The group looks good anyways!

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...4-build-83765/ - Build Thread
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...-284-a-124876/ - Gun Pictures/Ongoing Shooting Thread
Old 09-24-2012, 09:44 PM
Bronze Member

Great read and sweet rifle, I ended up building a 6.5wsm this year as well, I was going for the opposite end of the spectrum however. I am currently at less than 1/3 the price of your set up, I am currently getting .447 inch groups with 140gr accubonds at 3300 fps (virgin norma brass still playing with powder and seating depths first try with bergers not so good) I will do a write up on the rifle when I get more time. Love the rifle you built I would be homeless if I tried to duplicate it.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
6.5 WSM- First Day at The Range- **UPDATED-10-8-2012-08-29_18-48-57_868-1.jpg  
Old 09-24-2012, 11:01 PM
Platinum Member

Outlaw - congratulations on terrific results. Even if you're not able to improve accuracy, an SD of 15 and accuracy at .4moa is fantastic. Don't spend too much time on load development. You don't have a bunch of barrel life. So find your load quick and stick to it. You need to be slinging bullets at critters, not paper.

btw...run the ballistics on your current load. you will find you have a legitimate 1k and longer deer killer!
Old 09-24-2012, 11:32 PM
Gold Member

Looks like I might have to get some N-570 to trying in my new toy. I put together a 6.5-300 win mag. Friday night and shot it a bit this weekend. I throated it for 140 Amax's so that is what I'll be focusing on. It seemed to have a preference for Retumbo so I've loaded up some more and I'll probably shoot it in the morning. I was getting some erratic pressure signs because of too little neck clearance. I think PTG made my reamer a little tight so I lightly turn the necks.

Mine is a SS Rem. 700 action with a 28" Bartlein spiral fluted 8 twist Rem. Varm. contour. It's in a HS 5R stock with a Jewell triggers and a Zeiss 4.5x14.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:38 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HntWhtTail View Post
Great read and sweet rifle, I ended up building a 6.5wsm this year as well, I was going for the opposite end of the spectrum however. I am currently at less than 1/3 the price of your set up, I am currently getting .447 inch groups with 140gr accubonds at 3300 fps (virgin norma brass still playing with powder and seating depths first try with bergers not so good) I will do a write up on the rifle when I get more time. Love the rifle you built I would be homeless if I tried to duplicate it.

The WSM is a great lil cartridge isn't it? I honestly think my load is more accurate that that, but i'm not A large part of the package is the optics, that Leupy is a good bit over 2k by itself. The rifle (I thought) was pretty reasonable-ish

Please do get that write up on here, i'd be very interested in reading it.

Good hunting & thanks for the kind words.

Old 09-25-2012, 08:46 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebark View Post
Outlaw - congratulations on terrific results. Even if you're not able to improve accuracy, an SD of 15 and accuracy at .4moa is fantastic. Don't spend too much time on load development. You don't have a bunch of barrel life. So find your load quick and stick to it. You need to be slinging bullets at critters, not paper.

btw...run the ballistics on your current load. you will find you have a legitimate 1k and longer deer killer!

Trebark, thank you very much. Those were rounds 13-17 including the clean/cold bore round with virgin cases. I feel that my once fired annealed (fingers crossed) cases could reveal a lower SD... just maybe

I'm telling myself to stop farting around now & run it, there should be a 'lope or 2 on here for y'all next week. I tend to suffer from severe tinkeritis, but i'm trying to be good with this one, as you said, bbl life is a wee-bit on the short side. & at nearly $1.50 per projectile, I definitely need to be perforating critters instead!

I'm kinda floored believe it or not... I haven't run the ballistics on that yet!? CEB says .560 +/- 5% @ 3100.... Maybe i'll get lucky & come out a little better than that yet?!

t