Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics


Reply

6.5 SS (Sherman Shortmag) Q@A

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #15  
Old 02-04-2014, 11:14 PM
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Near Napoleon,MI
Posts: 997
Re: 6.5 SS (Sherman Shortmag) Q@A

I note that SAUM brass seems to be out at the usual sources ??? Did you work with RP or Norma? Close to $3/case for the Norma .... Ouch! If you can find it...
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-04-2014, 11:30 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Northern Id.
Posts: 3,439
Re: 6.5 SS (Sherman Shortmag) Q@A

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcliffe01 View Post
I note that SAUM brass seems to be out at the usual sources ??? Did you work with RP or Norma? Close to $3/case for the Norma .... Ouch! If you can find it...
I started with RP and switched to 300 SAUM Norma when it became available last year. I t was only $1/ea. when I got it.......Rich
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-23-2014, 05:19 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 8
Re: 6.5 SS (Sherman Shortmag) Q@A

Do you have a no-neck turn reamer for the 6.5SS?

I have been intrigued by GAP's 6.5SAUM, but the 6.5SS is even more appealing. I'm not a fan of long barrels. I assume I'm not giving up performance by going with a 23-24" barrel?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-23-2014, 06:26 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Northern Id.
Posts: 3,439
Re: 6.5 SS (Sherman Shortmag) Q@A

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsdad View Post
Do you have a no-neck turn reamer for the 6.5SS?

I have been intrigued by GAP's 6.5SAUM, but the 6.5SS is even more appealing. I'm not a fan of long barrels. I assume I'm not giving up performance by going with a 23-24" barrel?
I don't currently have a no turn version, and I'm not sure it would be a good idea if you want to use Norma brass (just trying to be upfront)! The SS , being shortened, gets into the shoulder of the case to form part of the longer neck on the SS, which leaves a ridge on the case. This can easily be turned down to the original neck thickness, but you would still be turning the neck. The 300 SAUM Norma brass is plenty thick in the neck (approx. .016") If you use RP brass, it is not an issue but I strongly prefer the Norma myself. A 24" barrel would still get you close to 3100' with the 160 Matrix and RL33. The SS really seems to be efficient with the shortened, low taper body, and 40 degree shoulder. It will easily equal the performance of the larger capacity 6.5 Sherman.......rich
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-23-2014, 06:58 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 50
Re: 6.5 SS (Sherman Shortmag) Q@A

What kind of accuracy, pressures are you getting with H1000 vs. rl33? I hear the 4S loves the H1000. Curious what you found in the SS that made you go RL33. I've been collecting H1000 for my 6.5 SS build and wonder if I should get RL33 too. Also with 7saum available in R-P brass wouldn't that save some headache forming? I know R-p brass isn't as consistent as norma brass. But if you sorted it by weight, would that make it as good as norma brass? I ask because I can buy 7saum brass easily, but norma brass is as rare as owls teeth right now.
Whenever I see a thread on the 6.5 SS I get excited! It's such a brilliant design. Can't wait to shoot it!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-23-2014, 09:09 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Northern Id.
Posts: 3,439
Re: 6.5 SS (Sherman Shortmag) Q@A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateo View Post
What kind of accuracy, pressures are you getting with H1000 vs. rl33? I hear the 4S loves the H1000. Curious what you found in the SS that made you go RL33. I've been collecting H1000 for my 6.5 SS build and wonder if I should get RL33 too. Also with 7saum available in R-P brass wouldn't that save some headache forming? I know R-p brass isn't as consistent as norma brass. But if you sorted it by weight, would that make it as good as norma brass? I ask because I can buy 7saum brass easily, but norma brass is as rare as owls teeth right now.
Whenever I see a thread on the 6.5 SS I get excited! It's such a brilliant design. Can't wait to shoot it!
I don't have exact data yet on increase in velocity between H1000 and RL 33 with the 160's, but I think it is safe to say 150' with equal pressure. That will change your mind in a hurry when you shoot a .3 at 3086' with a perfectly safe load Also, early minimal tests show good ES and I hear it is quite temp tolerant as well.
You can use RP brass with a little less hassle, but I don't mind at all because for me, the difference is worth it! As you say, the RP requires more case prep to get consistency including weighing, flash hole chamfering, etc. The Norma has to be turned, but to me, that is much easier than fussing with the RP; especially with the end result. This is not to say good results can not be attained with RP, and I have quite a bit that I will probably end up using sometime. Or, maybe I'll sell it to someone who likes it.......Rich
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 05-25-2014, 10:32 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 50
Re: 6.5 SS (Sherman Shortmag) Q@A

Would a remington model 7 work as a donor action in the 6.5 SS? I think it's a bit shorter than a remington model 700 SA.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC