Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

6.5 SS (Sherman Shortmag)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-28-2013, 05:38 PM
Gold Member

Re: 6.5 SS (Sherman Shortmag)

Elkaholic...

I also have Mr. Whidden making me dies for my wildcats 338 Wolverine and 375 Mjolnir.....

I too did not like the waiting period with the big ones you mentioned..

I really like your new 6.5mm concept, I have always questioned the 6.5 WSM short neck, this might just be the way to go, coupled with the Norma brass it looks really good...

I know exactly what you mean by changes Happen, I bet Mr. Kiff and the gals at PT&G are relieved all my reamers are finally in production... have been hassling them for the last four months with all my ideas and almost daily changes ... LOL !

do you know If I can convert my M96 Swedish Mauser to the 6.5 SS ? or is the case too fat and will require extensive modifications to make feed properly ? the Swede's box measures 3.234"
max inside length and your 6.5 Sherman won't work.... hoping to do a simple rechamber and slight mods then burn up the 1901 barrel to form brass and finally rebarrel with a 28" Brux 8.5 twist I have laying around

Unread 02-28-2013, 08:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamplord View Post
Elkaholic...

I also have Mr. Whidden making me dies for my wildcats 338 Wolverine and 375 Mjolnir.....

I too did not like the waiting period with the big ones you mentioned..

I really like your new 6.5mm concept, I have always questioned the 6.5 WSM short neck, this might just be the way to go, coupled with the Norma brass it looks really good...

I know exactly what you mean by changes Happen, I bet Mr. Kiff and the gals at PT&G are relieved all my reamers are finally in production... have been hassling them for the last four months with all my ideas and almost daily changes ... LOL !

do you know If I can convert my M96 Swedish Mauser to the 6.5 SS ? or is the case too fat and will require extensive modifications to make feed properly ? the Swede's box measures 3.234"
max inside length and your 6.5 Sherman won't work.... hoping to do a simple rechamber and slight mods then burn up the 1901 barrel to form brass and finally rebarrel with a 28" Brux 8.5 twist I have laying around
I am not that familiar with the m96 as far as pressure, etc., but you have plenty of room in the box. You probably would have to modify the rails a little but I can't imagine that being a big deal. Don't get those gals too confused at PTG, you may have misprints for YEARS.......Rich
Unread 11-13-2013, 02:43 PM
Silver Member

Any updates?
Unread 11-13-2013, 05:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmagator View Post
Any updates?
My buddy has connected on a couple of critters with my SS, but I had a bad season for elk so don't have anything to report personally. I hope to do some deer hunting soon though. The wolves have pretty well ruined my elk hunting area. "Bigngreen" has had some sucess with his SS. I think he killed a bull at 820 yards.......Rich
Unread 11-13-2013, 05:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
My buddy has connected on a couple of critters with my SS, but I had a bad season for elk so don't have anything to report personally. I hope to do some deer hunting soon though. The wolves have pretty well ruined my elk hunting area. "Bigngreen" has had some sucess with his SS. I think he killed a bull at 820 yards.......Rich
Now Rich, don't go tellin fairy tales.....You know good and well you have to have a .338 RUM or bigger to kill an elk beyond 500 yards...

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Unread 11-13-2013, 05:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudrunner2005 View Post
now rich, don't go tellin fairy tales.....you know good and well you have to have a .338 rum or bigger to kill an elk beyond 500 yards... :d
oops!
Unread 11-13-2013, 05:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
oops!
Hahahaha!!!

I'm still gonna get up with you, hopefully soon, about that 6.5 Sherman stuff.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.