Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics


Reply

6.5 SS (Sherman Shortmag)

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #15  
Old 02-28-2013, 05:38 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Alaska
Posts: 430
Re: 6.5 SS (Sherman Shortmag)

Elkaholic...

I also have Mr. Whidden making me dies for my wildcats 338 Wolverine and 375 Mjolnir.....

I too did not like the waiting period with the big ones you mentioned..

I really like your new 6.5mm concept, I have always questioned the 6.5 WSM short neck, this might just be the way to go, coupled with the Norma brass it looks really good...

I know exactly what you mean by changes Happen, I bet Mr. Kiff and the gals at PT&G are relieved all my reamers are finally in production... have been hassling them for the last four months with all my ideas and almost daily changes ... LOL !

do you know If I can convert my M96 Swedish Mauser to the 6.5 SS ? or is the case too fat and will require extensive modifications to make feed properly ? the Swede's box measures 3.234"
max inside length and your 6.5 Sherman won't work.... hoping to do a simple rechamber and slight mods then burn up the 1901 barrel to form brass and finally rebarrel with a 28" Brux 8.5 twist I have laying around
__________________
How is it y'all still don't know the difference between CALIBER and CARTRIDGE ??

"In guns, particularly firearms, caliber or calibre is the approximate internal diameter of the barrel, or the diameter of the projectile it fires."
WIKIPEDIA


"Fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"
Sigmund Freud
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-28-2013, 08:36 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Northern Id.
Posts: 3,324
Re: 6.5 SS (Sherman Shortmag)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamplord View Post
Elkaholic...

I also have Mr. Whidden making me dies for my wildcats 338 Wolverine and 375 Mjolnir.....

I too did not like the waiting period with the big ones you mentioned..

I really like your new 6.5mm concept, I have always questioned the 6.5 WSM short neck, this might just be the way to go, coupled with the Norma brass it looks really good...

I know exactly what you mean by changes Happen, I bet Mr. Kiff and the gals at PT&G are relieved all my reamers are finally in production... have been hassling them for the last four months with all my ideas and almost daily changes ... LOL !

do you know If I can convert my M96 Swedish Mauser to the 6.5 SS ? or is the case too fat and will require extensive modifications to make feed properly ? the Swede's box measures 3.234"
max inside length and your 6.5 Sherman won't work.... hoping to do a simple rechamber and slight mods then burn up the 1901 barrel to form brass and finally rebarrel with a 28" Brux 8.5 twist I have laying around
I am not that familiar with the m96 as far as pressure, etc., but you have plenty of room in the box. You probably would have to modify the rails a little but I can't imagine that being a big deal. Don't get those gals too confused at PTG, you may have misprints for YEARS.......Rich
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-13-2013, 02:43 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Roseburg, Oregon
Posts: 300
Re: 6.5 SS (Sherman Shortmag)

Any updates?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-13-2013, 05:09 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Northern Id.
Posts: 3,324
Re: 6.5 SS (Sherman Shortmag)

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmagator View Post
Any updates?
My buddy has connected on a couple of critters with my SS, but I had a bad season for elk so don't have anything to report personally. I hope to do some deer hunting soon though. The wolves have pretty well ruined my elk hunting area. "Bigngreen" has had some sucess with his SS. I think he killed a bull at 820 yards.......Rich
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-13-2013, 05:15 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 5,548
Re: 6.5 SS (Sherman Shortmag)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
My buddy has connected on a couple of critters with my SS, but I had a bad season for elk so don't have anything to report personally. I hope to do some deer hunting soon though. The wolves have pretty well ruined my elk hunting area. "Bigngreen" has had some sucess with his SS. I think he killed a bull at 820 yards.......Rich
Now Rich, don't go tellin fairy tales.....You know good and well you have to have a .338 RUM or bigger to kill an elk beyond 500 yards...
__________________
"I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns..." - Bob Lee Swagger

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-13-2013, 05:22 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Northern Id.
Posts: 3,324
Re: 6.5 SS (Sherman Shortmag)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudrunner2005 View Post
now rich, don't go tellin fairy tales.....you know good and well you have to have a .338 rum or bigger to kill an elk beyond 500 yards... :d
oops!
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 11-13-2013, 05:52 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Alabama
Posts: 5,548
Re: 6.5 SS (Sherman Shortmag)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
oops!
Hahahaha!!!

I'm still gonna get up with you, hopefully soon, about that 6.5 Sherman stuff.
__________________
"I'm just a peckerwood who lives in the hills with too many guns..." - Bob Lee Swagger

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Current Poll
Do you watch outdoor shows live or by recording them?
Always recorded - 13.18%
112 Votes
Mostly recorded - 24.12%
205 Votes
Sometimes recorded - 14.82%
126 Votes
Rarely or never recorded - 47.88%
407 Votes
Total Votes: 850
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC