Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

6.5 SS (Sherman Shortmag)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 12:52 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 6.5 SS (Sherman Shortmag)

I'm really excited about this one, the possibility of true short action function with optimum bullet seating and velocity around 3200fps with a 140gr bullet

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 02-09-2013, 01:07 AM
Silver Member

Sounds like a good idea so far

What does about 3 grains less powder than your Sherman put the approx capacity at?

So are you thinking along the same lines as the original for fireforming by jamming into the lands on the first go? Does it look like the brass would need to be trimmed right away or more likely it will grow into that long neck length?

You or anyone else run a quick load on it to get some ideas in which powders may work- h1000 maybe?

Looks like there would be about 70 thou or so to chase the lands (based on your neck length)if you did start to eat the throat away. I like that you are thinking to make it a little shorter than a 6.5-47 lapua as this would leave the room required in a standard short action to do so. Having that option with a vld's type bullet I very cool with a standard mag box.

There was a fellow on Alberta outdoorsman forum. that created something possibly similar using saum brass and I believe he used h1000 - might help for a starting point powder. I think he left the shoulder angle alone though - called it the 6.5 extreme and his handle lclund I believe.

I'm not trying to bombard you with questions by any means, just love new 6.5 stuff
Old 02-09-2013, 01:11 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
I'm really excited about this one, the possibility of true short action function with optimum bullet seating and velocity around 3200fps with a 140gr bullet
Rhian.....I think the key word here is "TRUE". I am not aware of a 6.5 cartridge that should perform like this and actually fit in any short action magazine with long bullets seated to lands.......Rich
Old 02-09-2013, 01:22 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by .284 View Post
Sounds like a good idea so far

What does about 3 grains less powder than your Sherman put the approx capacity at?

So are you thinking along the same lines as the original for fireforming by jamming into the lands on the first go? Does it look like the brass would need to be trimmed right away or more likely it will grow into that long neck length?

You or anyone else run a quick load on it to get some ideas in which powders may work- h1000 maybe?

There was a fellow on Alberta outdoorsman forum. that created something possibly similar using saum brass and I believe he used h1000 - might help for a starting point powder. I think he left the shoulder angle alone though - called it the 6.5 extreme and his handle lclund I believe.

I'm not trying to bombard you with questions by any means, just love new 6.5 stuff
The capacity will be about 72 grains. Fire forming will be VERY minimal. A very slight stretch to the body diameter and moving the shoulder from 35 to 40 degrees. The shoulder would be bumped back a little more than 1/4". The case would then be trimmed to approx. 1.83" and either loaded with a bullet and formed or using the shotgun powder/cream of wheat method. Retumbo, H1000, RL 25, would all be good options as well as even powders like RL 17. The 6.5 extreme is a different case. It is based on the 300 RCM which is a shortened 375 Ruger case (head dia. .530" vs the .550" on this case. This is why I am able to get the capacity/velocity out of this cartridge and still be a true short action round. I hope this helps......Rich
Old 02-09-2013, 01:33 AM
Platinum Member

I read one article where the 6.5 extreme would make 3100' with 61.4 grains of retumbo. This does not surprise me. This is why I think the 6.5 SS will come close to 3200'......Rich
Old 02-28-2013, 11:02 AM
Platinum Member

We are off and running on the project. I ordered the reamer from PTG, a barrel from Benchmark ( 26" #5 fluted, 5r, 8 1/2 twist) and dies from Whidden. Everything is supposed to be here in about 6 weeks. I am going to try lapping the throat and sending the barrel in for melonite when it is still new. The donor action is a 700 SA in .222 that I have already.....Rich
p.s. I mentioned in an earlier post the capacity would be around 72 grains but it appears that 70-71 will be closer
Old 02-28-2013, 11:48 AM
Platinum Member

I read back through all the posts and want to make a couple of corrections. For any of you who have messed around with creating a wildcat, you know that CHANGES happen. First of all, the body length will actually be between the Lapua and Creedmore. The case length is slightly longer than the creedmoor because of the much longer neck. (.320" vs .260"). This will not make the coal longer as the throat is reamed to match the length from the BASE of the neck. This loaded round should fit in any std. box with a 140 Berger seated to the lands.
Earlier I stated that I would be ordering dies from Hornady but I didn't like the waiting period. I checked with Redding and they were a YEAR out! The good news, John Wooden will make me a set of micrometer dies in 6 weeks........Rich