Long Range Hunting Online Magazine


Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics


Reply

6.5 SS (Sherman Shortmag)

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-08-2013, 05:41 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Northern Id.
Posts: 3,324
6.5 SS (Sherman Shortmag)

Early heads up! I spoke with a reamer maker today and I am adding a little brother, with "big brother attitude" to the 6.5 Sherman. We have had such great success with the 6.5 Sherman that I decided to build a short action version that should equal the long action versions 3200' (140 gr.-26" barrel)with 3 grains less powder. The case length will be slightly shorter than a 6.5x47 Lapua and should fit in any short action without modification. The chamber will be reamed for max performance with the 140 Berger hybrid. The parent case will be the 270 WSM and chamber will be designed for Norma brass in a "no turn" neck although ANY WSM or SAUM brass could be used. The cartridge will pretty much stick with the other Sherman designs, i.e. low body taper, 40 degree shoulder, and long neck. (.320" in this case.) Barrel life should be considerably better than the 6.5 WSM with little loss in velocity, better case life and potentially better accuracy. This would make a great F-class round and certainly a very good long range hunting round. Case forming should be 1 stroke with the SS dies and then trim to length. The first firing will finish forming the case but without much stretching. My past experience with similar forming should provide useable rounds with good accuracy. The pluses I see for this round are: short action, mag velocity, better barrel life than mag, good brass with no belt, and good accuracy potential. Rhian (Bigngreen) and I have worked together on this so don't be surprised if he might be talked into chambering one for you?? I know there are several good 6.5's out there now, but for those of us that "want it all" I think this cartridge may just fill a need. I will be ordering dies from Hornady so if anyone wants to jump on the band wagon early, let me know so they can make a run. The wait can be 5-6 months so if you want to bust a speed goat, etc, at 1000+ yards this fall, you'd better get smurfin'......Rich
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-08-2013, 09:11 PM
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 151
Re: 6.5 SS (Sherman Shortmag)

Being a 6.5 aholic you're killing me here. I just got my reamer for my 6.5-06 from Dave Kiff after I sent him in some rounds and the resurgence in interest about your 6.5 Sherman could not of been at a worse time for me. Now this......

Dave will make dies for you from the reamer he makes you if wanted. Have you had good luck with hornady or do you just want them to be available without using a reamer every time?

Not from personal experience but just from reading the interweb it seems that most folks find a 6.5 wsm finicky to load for and have a short barrel life. Could you elaborate a bit on how you expect yours to be better.

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-08-2013, 09:29 PM
Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Saint Francis, KS
Posts: 99
Re: 6.5 SS (Sherman Shortmag)

Rich,
Keep us posted. I'm looking for a 6.5 build, and am personally a fan of speed, but also unknown cartridges. Something when you tell somebody what it is, they ask what the heel us that? Once you get it perfected would you have reamer and such for sale.
__________________
Pic out a spot,a single hair, and aim for that spot.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-08-2013, 11:16 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Northern Id.
Posts: 3,324
Re: 6.5 SS (Sherman Shortmag)

Quote:
Originally Posted by .284 View Post
Being a 6.5 aholic you're killing me here. I just got my reamer for my 6.5-06 from Dave Kiff after I sent him in some rounds and the resurgence in interest about your 6.5 Sherman could not of been at a worse time for me. Now this......

Dave will make dies for you from the reamer he makes you if wanted. Have you had good luck with hornady or do you just want them to be available without using a reamer every time?

Not from personal experience but just from reading the interweb it seems that most folks find a 6.5 wsm finicky to load for and have a short barrel life. Could you elaborate a bit on how you expect yours to be better.

Thanks
The 6.5 WSM IS finicky but I think it is primarily because of the velocity. In other words, most bullets are not built for that kind of stress; especially the thin jacketed varieties that we long range guys like to use. I also think the overbore tends to make things more fincky. This case will hold approx. 6-7 grains less than a 6.5 WSM which should help. As far as the barrel life is concerned, this case will be better because of the reasons listed above, plus the fact that it has a sharper shoulder and a MUCH longer neck which will keep the flame point well inside the neck. My 6.5 Sherman has this design with a .300 neck, which is .020" shorter than the 6.5 SS and it holds approx. 2.5 grains more powder and still has shown good barrel life so I have to assume the 6.5 SS will be AT LEAST as good. Also, the case has such a short burn column that the powder should burn more efficiently..........Rich
p.s. I forgot to address the die issue. I just really like the quality of Hornadys CUSTOM dies but I may talk to Kiff about his. I do like the fact that hornady has my file and will make dies for others on request.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-08-2013, 11:19 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Northern Id.
Posts: 3,324
Re: 6.5 SS (Sherman Shortmag)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87predator View Post
Rich,
Keep us posted. I'm looking for a 6.5 build, and am personally a fan of speed, but also unknown cartridges. Something when you tell somebody what it is, they ask what the heel us that? Once you get it perfected would you have reamer and such for sale.
It is proprietary but the reamer will be available to rent. Bigngreen (this forum) will likely have one before I do as he has a couple of barrels lying in wait I should have the reamer by the first of April or sooner.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-08-2013, 11:50 PM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: ND
Posts: 2,703
Re: 6.5 SS (Sherman Shortmag)

When the barrel on my 22-250 burns out (its probably got 400 rounds left in her) i may chamber it in this, but i also may chamber it in a 300/375 S.I. better make sure Rhain has a reamer for the 30/375 S.I........ Just incase. The 22-250 is on a howa LA BTW.
__________________

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-09-2013, 12:03 AM
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Northern Id.
Posts: 3,324
Re: 6.5 SS (Sherman Shortmag)

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnesuser28 View Post
When the barrel on my 22-250 burns out (its probably got 400 rounds left in her) i may chamber it in this, but i also may chamber it in a 300/375 S.I. better make sure Rhain has a reamer for the 30/375 S.I........ Just incase. The 22-250 is on a howa LA BTW.
Well, the Howa would certainly be plenty long for this cartridge and Rhian can rent my S.I. reamer anytime he likes........Rich
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Current Poll
Do You Think Slingshots Should Be Legalized For Hunting Brown Bear?
Yes - 47.11%
906 Votes
No - 52.89%
1,017 Vote
Total Votes: 1,923
You may not vote on this poll.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:07 PM.


Powered by vBulletin ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Management Powered by vBadvanced CMPS
All content ©2010-2014 Long Range Hunting, LLC