Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

6.5 ss final design

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2013, 12:24 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 6.5 ss final design

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentM View Post
Regarding the bullet: I will have mine next week, I hope, and be ready to test the following weekend. I am planning to run side by side to my bergers on wet newpaper at 1000 yards. If I can get gel I will run it through that instead. Doubt it though. I am also planning to use this bullet for our up coming bear hunts.
Good deal! I plan on some terminal ballistic tests as well but don't know how soon.....Rich
Old 04-12-2013, 01:16 PM
Platinum Member

Well, if you have suggestions on a how it should be done please do so. Yards, speed, target material. I have shot gel before but don't think I have enough stuff left to make a batch. I was given this package a long time ago by a LEO I was friends with.
Old 04-12-2013, 02:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Well, if you have suggestions on a how it should be done please do so. Yards, speed, target material. I have shot gel before but don't think I have enough stuff left to make a batch. I was given this package a long time ago by a LEO I was friends with.
Wet newspaper is ok and the wetter the better! Maybe shoot at the gel and back it up with newspaper. You can also use the reduced load trick for a simulated distance. I personnally think you lose a little expansion because of less rotational velocity when you do that, but it is unproven. If you get a chance, you might run a test on that and see. Example: load one down to 1800' and shoot it point blank and then shoot the same media at full throtle at a distance which will give you 1800......Rich
Old 04-12-2013, 02:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
Wet newspaper is ok and the wetter the better! Maybe shoot at the gel and back it up with newspaper. You can also use the reduced load trick for a simulated distance. I personnally think you lose a little expansion because of less rotational velocity when you do that, but it is unproven. If you get a chance, you might run a test on that and see. Example: load one down to 1800' and shoot it point blank and then shoot the same media at full throtle at a distance which will give you 1800......Rich
Brent.....if you have never done this, be aware that you will penetrate far more media at low velocity (low expansion) than you will at higher velocity (high expansion) A few layers of Berber carpet, or the like, really helps stop exiting bullets exiting from media......Rich
Old 04-12-2013, 04:21 PM
Platinum Member

Good call on all that. I have not shot the longer distances for testing and this makes sense to me for sure. Way easier to work on testing as you can more easily control shot placement. I will still shoot the longer distances to see how the BC works out in the little 6.5-284 compared to the gee wiz bangers you guys have.
Old 04-12-2013, 04:26 PM
Silver Member

This looks to be the short action version of the 6.5 Sin that I have. Mine is off the 7mm Dakota case necked down and blown out. I definitely like yours for a SA. Good work
Old 04-12-2013, 04:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Good call on all that. I have not shot the longer distances for testing and this makes sense to me for sure. Way easier to work on testing as you can more easily control shot placement. I will still shoot the longer distances to see how the BC works out in the little 6.5-284 compared to the gee wiz bangers you guys have.
Let me know if I can help, and for sure, the results.....Rich