Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

6.5 ss final design

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2013, 10:14 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 6.5 ss final design

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoCTD View Post
Order a die blank from PTG and ream it with your chamber reamer. Then bore it for Redding bushings. Pretty simple with a lathe.
I thought about something like that but I would probably have my custom dies by that time. I guess I need to calm down. I want to shoot this thing!!......Rich
Old 04-11-2013, 01:27 PM
Gold Member

Will the newer Hornady neck dies work?
Old 04-11-2013, 02:17 PM
Silver Member

Please see PM
Old 04-11-2013, 02:46 PM
Platinum Member

This is like .... smelling apple pie and knowing that you can't have any. It's just sick and wrong.

On another note: if this is produces what you want how does a guy go about duplicating such a project? For example I would want the same barrel for my savage and then have to get brass etc. Probably not a good round for a guy like me due to the set up process but this is similar to what I want for our outfitter rifle. Short action, 6.5, fast, low recoil, and accurate.
Old 04-11-2013, 03:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoCTD View Post
Will the newer Hornady neck dies work?
Unless they are REALLY new, they will only fit the .530" head size.....Rich
Old 04-11-2013, 03:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentM View Post
This is like .... smelling apple pie and knowing that you can't have any. It's just sick and wrong.

On another note: if this is produces what you want how does a guy go about duplicating such a project? For example I would want the same barrel for my savage and then have to get brass etc. Probably not a good round for a guy like me due to the set up process but this is similar to what I want for our outfitter rifle. Short action, 6.5, fast, low recoil, and accurate.
Brent....case forming is fairly simple. When I get my custom dies in, I may find it is really simple if I can run the parent case thru in one pass. After that it is just a matter of turning the necks slightly and trimming to length. If enough guys decide to build this, and I think they might when the results come in, I may have headstamp brass available? There isn't ANYTHING out there that is quite like this and I can see some real potential........Rich
Old 04-11-2013, 03:44 PM
Platinum Member

Sweet. Love the fact a few brave souls experiment and bring options to the table.