Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

6.5 ss final design

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2013, 09:36 AM
Silver Member

Re: 6.5 ss final design

Rich, what did y'all determine was the best twist for this caliber? Will the 8 twist shoot the 160s accurately?
Old 11-24-2013, 08:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good View Post
Rich, what did y'all determine was the best twist for this caliber? Will the 8 twist shoot the 160s accurately?
yes, an 8 twist is the way to go............Rich
Old 05-17-2014, 04:46 PM
Platinum Member

Hey Rich...I have a question...

This might sound stupid, or might not be possible, just curious though...

Are you going to design a reamer wtih a no-turn neck? Just a standard thickness neck for the RSAUM brass?

Also, is your 6.5 Sherman reamer a no-turn?

Reason I ask, is that I don't own a neck-turning tool, and anytime things can be simplified, I'm all about it. Especially with brass quality and tooling quality these days. My smith even agrees that neck-turning is almost a thing of the past (other than for BR comps and wildcatting) with the quality of today's high-quality brass.

Thanks.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 05-17-2014, 07:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Hey Rich...I have a question...

This might sound stupid, or might not be possible, just curious though...

Are you going to design a reamer wtih a no-turn neck? Just a standard thickness neck for the RSAUM brass?

Also, is your 6.5 Sherman reamer a no-turn?

Reason I ask, is that I don't own a neck-turning tool, and anytime things can be simplified, I'm all about it. Especially with brass quality and tooling quality these days. My smith even agrees that neck-turning is almost a thing of the past (other than for BR comps and wildcatting) with the quality of today's high-quality brass.

Thanks.
I already have one for the 6.5 sherman.I may add one later for the SS.....Rich
Old 05-17-2014, 07:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
I already have one for the 6.5 sherman.I may add one later for the SS.....Rich
Cool! Keep me updated man! I'm not positive if I might have my .30-06 AI opened up to .300 Sherman or not. But it's always on the back on my mind.

If you had a set of carbide reamers for chamber & FL sizing die, I could open up my current nice Redding .30-06 AI dies (FL, Neck, and Seater) for the .300 Sherman. Quick, simple, and easy.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Old 05-19-2014, 01:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
Cool! Keep me updated man! I'm not positive if I might have my .30-06 AI opened up to .300 Sherman or not. But it's always on the back on my mind.

If you had a set of carbide reamers for chamber & FL sizing die, I could open up my current nice Redding .30-06 AI dies (FL, Neck, and Seater) for the .300 Sherman. Quick, simple, and easy.
Whidden has a carbide reamer for it, but I doubt they would use it to open up your Redding die!.......Rich
Old 05-19-2014, 02:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
Whidden has a carbide reamer for it, but I doubt they would use it to open up your Redding die!.......Rich
It's kinda hard to chunk an almost new $110 set of dies...Especially since all it needs is the walls opened up and the shoulder pushed a bit forward.

Quote: