OK, so before Rich strokes out I figured I'd better get something up on the first data for the new 6.5 SS.
I sized the300 and 7 SAUM cases back in a shortened 270 WSM die, then ran it into the 6.5 SS die to finish the shoulder pushing it back .010 past where it will finish. I trimmed to length and sized again to set the neck for turning then turned from .2955 to .290.
My first fire forming was 55gr of h4831sc with a 120gr Sierra pro hunter jammed, I though I was playing it safe with that load and I was way safe and they shot 1 inch at 3090fps.
I sized the cases to spec and loaded 58-62 of Retumbo in 1gr increments with a 140 Berger hybrid seated 20 thou of the lands at a Coal of 2.905, I also loaded 55-59 gr of Retumbo under a 160 Matrix seated .80 thou of the lands at a Coal of 2.765.
Velocity data for the 140 Berger hybrid was 2918, 2982, 3032, 3086, and 3157 fps, there was very low pressure signs and I don't think I'll be able to pressure out with Retumbo but I don't think 3200fps with a 140 is going to be any trouble at all, the shots just walked up the target nothing interesting mostly just trying to find the range to work in.
The 160's were way soft starting at 2722 fps and topped at 2858 with no pressure signs but I doubled up on one charge so I didn't get one velocity. Not much data on the 160's but 3000fps should be easy I think.
The plan is to now work on seeing just what kind of tack driver we have now that we know we can easily hit the velocity range we want.
300 RSAUM, 270 WSM resize, 6.5 SS resize, trimmed to length and turned then fire formed and reloaded.
140 Berger hybrid and 160 Matrix loaded.
140 Hybrid loaded and beside the case.
Lots of room in the mag with the 120's jammed, needed to bend the feed lips open a little in front for the straight case.
Gunsmith did an awesome job on the crown