Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

6.5 SS/160 Matrix Perform on ELK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2013, 04:35 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 6.5 SS/160 Matrix Perform on ELK

How much velocity do you think that bullet could take?

Marshall (Matrix bullets) indicated that his bullets would be a no go in my 3 groove 8 twist bbl @ 270 AM velocities.

I'd like someone else to confirm that for me. I'm getting a little tired after messing with the LRABs.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:47 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
In my H20 tests, it appeared that the softening (annealing) of the nose caused this same affect rather than the typical blowing up completely.
The softer hollow jacket tip stretching more prior to tearing/shredding? Is that the suspicion?

If so, then annealing the void jacket tips down a little further prior to seating the lead core in your custom SXR bullets would assist in further bullet mass retention.
Old 10-19-2013, 04:48 PM
Platinum Member

Roy, this is a 6.5 160 gr bullet, it has taken some serious velocity but it's overly rugged. The 165 .277 bullet won't hack it in the AM I think I somehow deleted your address if you pm it to me again I will send you a rugged 170 gr matrix that should do well in you AM.

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 10-19-2013, 04:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post

Marshall (Matrix bullets) indicated that his bullets would be a no go in my 3 groove 8 twist bbl @ 270 AM velocities.

I'd like someone else to confirm that for me. I'm getting a little tired after messing with the LRABs.
Looks like Rhian has you covered. I do think the 6.5 will take more though......Rich
Old 10-19-2013, 05:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post
The softer hollow jacket tip stretching more prior to tearing/shredding? Is that the suspicion?

If so, then annealing the void jacket tips down a little further prior to seating the lead core in your custom SXR bullets would assist in further bullet mass retention.
I think this holds true for the hollow points but is different with my bullets because the lead is flush with the tip. I think the softer tip on the HP makes it more malleable and doesn't have a feast or famine affect. Whether this is good or bad probably depends on who you talk to and what game you are shooting, but I think it does make the bullet less explosive, even though it expands a little easier. This may be more important for the smaller diameters than the larger ones?......Rich

Last edited by elkaholic; 10-19-2013 at 06:56 PM.
Old 10-19-2013, 05:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post

Sin Arms says he is pushing them @ 3550 in the 6.5 Sin

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams