Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

6.5 sherman shortmag field test

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2013, 08:00 PM
Silver Member

Re: 6.5 sherman shortmag field test

Not to hijack the thread, but how do you anneal a bullet w/o melting the lead inside????
Old 11-07-2013, 08:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by letrbuck View Post
So I have to know. Which one do you like best? The Sherman or the SS?
I like the Sherman in a long action and the Sherman short in a short action Seriously, I think it is a toss up as the ballistics are near identical. Just depends on what you like to do. The potential for a little bit shorter, lighter carry rifle is there with the Short and the long has a greater variety of brass available. Take your pic......Rich
Old 11-07-2013, 08:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redgun View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but how do you anneal a bullet w/o melting the lead inside????
Keep the tip pointed up in case it does melt, but use a barrier of some kind. I use a ceramic block with holes drilled (see 160 Matrix thread). I only heat for 8-10 seconds (or until color changes)........Rich
Old 11-07-2013, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
I like the Sherman in a long action and the Sherman short in a short action Seriously, I think it is a toss up as the ballistics are near identical. Just depends on what you like to do. The potential for a little bit shorter, lighter carry rifle is there with the Short and the long has a greater variety of brass available. Take your pic......Rich
I've been itching hard to do a savage/stevens build in 6.5 x 55 but reading about the Shermans might have me convinced to twist your arm about renting your reamer. . .
Pretty amazing cartridges. Thanks for your hard work and detailed posts on this forum
Old 11-07-2013, 09:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by letrbuck View Post
I've been itching hard to do a savage/stevens build in 6.5 x 55 but reading about the Shermans might have me convinced to twist your arm about renting your reamer. . .
Pretty amazing cartridges. Thanks for your hard work and detailed posts on this forum
P M me if you want to discuss and I will give you my phone #.....Rich
Old 11-08-2013, 05:57 PM
Bronze Member

What are BC are you using for the 160 Mr. Sherman? Thats a helluva load at 3000+ fps. Damn near a .300 RUM with 215s. Also, how do they hold up on game? Being such a long, heavy bullet, Id imagine they penetrate like nothing else if they stay together.
Old 11-08-2013, 06:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by laserflat View Post
What are BC are you using for the 160 Mr. Sherman? Thats a helluva load at 3000+ fps. Damn near a .300 RUM with 215s. Also, how do they hold up on game? Being such a long, heavy bullet, Id imagine they penetrate like nothing else if they stay together.
680 b.c. seems to be working very well. It is indeed pretty hard to beat the ballistics, and yes, they do penetrate with that kind of SD!
My partner has used my 6.5 Sherman to kill a bear and my SS to kill an elk this year, both with the Matrix. The bear went 20 yards punched through the lungs and the elk went two steps with the same hit. Neither were hit in any large bones to break them down. "Bigngreen" (this forum) used his SS to bag an elk at 820, but wasn't using a Matrix. We are annealing the tips for long range and I'm quite sure, based on testing, they will work well......Rich