Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

6.5 sherman shortmag field test

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2013, 10:24 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 6.5 sherman shortmag field test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
Glad to hear it, thanks for taking the time to fiddle with the CEB's I appreciate it. The annealed Hybrids also intrigue me, I hadn't thought about doing that until now.

t
I am going to anneal some 160 Matrix today. In the small test I ran, they definitely lowered expansion velocities. this would be my advice on using the Matrix since annealing won't change anything except expansion characteristics. I will carry both annealed, and regular and shoot the annealed at targets roughly beyond 500 yards. Up close, it appears the std's should function well on heavier animals........Rich
Old 10-04-2013, 10:34 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
I am going to anneal some 160 Matrix today. In the small test I ran, they definitely lowered expansion velocities. this would be my advice on using the Matrix since annealing won't change anything except expansion characteristics. I will carry both annealed, and regular and shoot the annealed at targets roughly beyond 500 yards. Up close, it appears the std's should function well on heavier animals........Rich

How long is it taking you to anneal them? I'm not super worried about the time as a guy should be able to use the non-annealed for practice etc & the annealed for LRH right?

I believe I read somewhere that the 160 were on backorder; is that correct?

t

Old 10-04-2013, 11:06 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
How long is it taking you to anneal them? I'm not super worried about the time as a guy should be able to use the non-annealed for practice etc & the annealed for LRH right?

I believe I read somewhere that the 160 were on backorder; is that correct?

t
It only takes 8-10 seconds if the torch is hot, but just heat them until they change color. I think Marshal may be back to making bullets, but not sure? He was in the process of moving......Rich
Old 10-04-2013, 11:23 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
It only takes 8-10 seconds if the torch is hot, but just heat them until they change color. I think Marshal may be back to making bullets, but not sure? He was in the process of moving......Rich

Ah, I did not know he was moving, hopefully to a bigger facility where he can make more bullets!!

8-10 seconds is very doable, thanks Rich.

t

Old 10-04-2013, 12:11 PM
Gold Member

I called him yesterday and he had moved to Mission BC which is about 15 minutes from where my wife is from and where her sisters live. It's too bad he didn't move a couple months ago because I was just there. Anyway he said he would be making 160's next week.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:04 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoCTD View Post
I called him yesterday and he had moved to Mission BC which is about 15 minutes from where my wife is from and where her sisters live. It's too bad he didn't move a couple months ago because I was just there. Anyway he said he would be making 160's next week.

That is good news, thank your for the update.

t

Old 11-07-2013, 06:43 PM

So I have to know. Which one do you like best? The Sherman or the SS?