Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

6.5 sherman q&a

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2013, 01:16 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 6.5 sherman q&a

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
I have reamers for rent and there are some good smiths on the forum or I could recommend one. The 7 Mag would definitely have room, but I'm not sure about the oversize width of the 7 mag working? Maybe someone else has some experience with that....rich
If his rifle is a Rem 700, to make his 7mm RM action work, he will need to change out the internal magazine box for a Standard (.270/.30-06) mag box, and the magnum follower for a Standard (.270/.30-06) follower. And he will also need to buy a PTG standard bolt body with a Standard (.308/.30-06) bolt face. Or he could find someone that might be interested in swapping bolt-bodies with him, on here.

His cheapest and best bet would be to go to Academy, Dick's, or Wally World, and buy a $499 Rem 700 SPS .270 or .30-06 and snatch the stock and barrel off, have the action trued, and go from there. That's what I'd do. Plus, he can keep his 7mm RM and have a 6.5 Sherman, since they both have different capabilities.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:49 PM

No, it's a Savage, stagger feed, blind mag. I believe it's an old police model, anyway it has a 24" varmint contour barrel with two sling swivels on the front.

I bought it with the idea in mind of building a 300 WM at some point and may do that yet, or I may sell it, I don't know.

What ever I build with it I can keep or change the bolt face, but it is definitely getting restocked.

JH
Old 12-02-2013, 03:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stater61 View Post
No, it's a Savage, stagger feed, blind mag. I believe it's an old police model, anyway it has a 24" varmint contour barrel with two sling swivels on the front.

I bought it with the idea in mind of building a 300 WM at some point and may do that yet, or I may sell it, I don't know.

What ever I build with it I can keep or change the bolt face, but it is definitely getting restocked.

JH
I don't have any savages, but from what I hear, they are easier than the Remington because of the easy change bolt face. They also have a longer mag box which is a plus with the long bullets, at least comparing the short action. I forgot to mention the bolt face opening for the remmy, but mud covered that.Better build a Sherman ....... Rich
Old 12-02-2013, 03:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim in Cali View Post
I have asked about this cartridge. I Thank you very much on the write up/info.
You are welcome Jim. Let me know if I can help.....Rich
Old 12-02-2013, 07:38 PM
Silver Member

Rich

Thanks for taking the time to talk with me last week. I am getting ready to send my action off. I am going thru with a 6.5 Sherman.

Thanks again

Jay
Old 12-02-2013, 08:31 PM
Platinum Member

How many times can a reamer be used before it needs to be either sharpened or replaced? And what is fee to rent one? I may have asked in the past but don't remember answer.

how much is a new reamer? can I buy one?
Old 12-02-2013, 09:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeldawg View Post
Rich

Thanks for taking the time to talk with me last week. I am getting ready to send my action off. I am going thru with a 6.5 Sherman.

Thanks again

Jay
Very welcome Jay! Let me know when ever you need anything.....rich