Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

6.5 Sherman 160 Matrix

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2013, 12:09 PM
Platinum Member

6.5 Sherman 160 Matrix

Two more deer down with the Shermans/160 Matrix. Johnny got this one with the Sherman and I killed another 4 point with the SS (both with 160 Matrix) This deer was facing him with a little quartering and took the bullet in the neck. It traveled into the chest cavity at the esophagus, took out the left lung, destroyed the liver, and tore up the offside rib cage. It appears that the bullet split after entering the chest cavity. This has been typical of the 160 Matrix so far. Plenty of penetration and substantial damage. The deer was shot at 307 yards so impact velocity was around 2600'. MV at 3006'. I didn't get any pics of mine as I forgot the camera. I had a very awkward shot over my right shoulder at 160 yards and hit him back and high. There was massive damage as the bullet hit the bottom of the spine. So far this year the Sherman/Matrix combo has taken 2 deer, a bear and an elk with nothing moving more than a few steps. 6.5 Sherman 160 Matrix-johnny-4pt.jpg

6.5 Sherman 160 Matrix-get-attachment.aspx.jpg

6.5 Sherman 160 Matrix-get-attachment.aspx.jpeg
Old 11-21-2013, 12:24 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 6.5 Sherman 160 Matrix

That looks to be some pretty substantial damage Rich. Thank you for sharing that. The more I think about it, the more I feel the 160 is the way to go... only if them CEB's didn't shoot so dern good I still have some testing to do....

Were the pictured 160's annealed?

t

Old 11-21-2013, 12:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
That looks to be some pretty substantial damage Rich. Thank you for sharing that. The more I think about it, the more I feel the 160 is the way to go... only if them CEB's didn't shoot so dern good I still have some testing to do....

Were the pictured 160's annealed?

t
Thanks outlaw. That one was not annealed, but have found that the annealed ones penetrate very well. They just expand a couple hundred feet quicker........Rich
Old 11-21-2013, 12:44 PM
Platinum Member

Ah, good! Glad to hear penetration is not reduced by annealing.

t

Old 11-21-2013, 01:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw6.0 View Post
Ah, good! Glad to hear penetration is not reduced by annealing.

t
It is probably reduced a little, but still has plenty! Johnny shot an elk (I think at 160 yards) with an annealed one, and it went almost through......Rich
Old 11-21-2013, 01:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkaholic View Post
It is probably reduced a little, but still has plenty! Johnny shot an elk (I think at 160 yards) with an annealed one, and it went almost through......Rich

I can't think of a better test medium

t

Old 11-21-2013, 02:27 PM
Platinum Member

Nice work. I have not annealed my latest bullets yet but was wondering if you recap how you do it?

I have been really impressed with LR results with the 160 as far as accuracy and consistency. Just need a Sherman to get them up to 3000+. My 6.5-284 in a 24" @2700 fps is showing .3 moa. I tested 1 grain more powder pressure was still OK so perhaps 2800.