Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

6.5 saum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2013, 11:36 AM
Silver Member

Re: 6.5 saum

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Kurt,

Are you calling 6,5 WSM a liar? Are you saying he should just keep quiet and not share his info? Hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil?
nope believe everything he said about the 6.5-270wsm but he said he does not believe what George reported. I will take the word of one of the best smiths in the country along with the multiple other people of high regard that are running this caliber. It isn't snake oil has been in development for a few years. He has the equipment to test real world pressure not just checking on a computer program. Not wanting to do the brass prep is a understandable reason for sticking with the 6.5-284.
Old 08-27-2013, 11:56 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
nope believe everything he said about the 6.5-270wsm but he said he does not believe what George reported. I will take the word of one of the best smiths in the country along with the multiple other people of high regard that are running this caliber. It isn't snake oil has been in development for a few years. He has the equipment to test real world pressure not just checking on a computer program. Not wanting to do the brass prep is a understandable reason for sticking with the 6.5-284.
If he is actually using accurate equipment to test the pressure and velocity, then that is hard to deny.

The SAUM does have more capacity than 6.5-284 which does give it more velocity potential. That said, the WSM has more than the SAUM and Norma does make 270 WSM brass which would be easier to form. I'm thinking that if you can 3100 fps with 53,000 pressure, then you should be able to get 3100 fps with 52,000 pressure out of the WSM.

The only reason I would choose the SAUM over the WSM is to fit it in a short action.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 08-27-2013, 01:16 PM
Official LRH Spponsor

I understand people don't want to accept change. I heard every reason why my Stainless Tumbling Media would not work. Find someone now who cant live without it

All I know is that I am getting parts together for one of these builds. George=GA Precession builds over 1700 custom guns a year, and has done over 20 of the 6.5 saum guns now. What other gunsmith has that kind of experience. He just cant put his name on something without lots of testing. He also has the equipment to test chamber pressure not just run it off quickload. Once I get my gun built I will post my results as well. I would say its proven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sendero_Man View Post
10 shot Target with H1000 and 140 Amaxes @ 3140 FPS. Found good seating depth and load.

the Magnetospeed V1 is one slick unit !

[quote=psinclair;2517053]

Confirming POI for a range card at 200 yards. These loads are producing 3250fps.
Quote:
Originally Posted by psinclair View Post

130 JLK's shot pretty well....8 shots fired fast. The barrel was pretty hot and it still put them right in there.
[quote=psinclair;2594146]
Quote:
Originally Posted by psinclair View Post

Still shooting fair with 700+ down the tube......grin!
Old 08-27-2013, 01:54 PM
Platinum Member

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyking View Post
I understand people don't want to accept change. I heard every reason why my Stainless Tumbling Media would not work. Find someone now who cant live without it

All I know is that I am getting parts together for one of these builds. George=GA Precession builds over 1700 custom guns a year, and has done over 20 of the 6.5 saum guns now. What other gunsmith has that kind of experience. He just cant put his name on something without lots of testing. He also has the equipment to test chamber pressure not just run it off quickload. Once I get my gun built I will post my results as well. I would say its proven.
Skyking, anyone who has known me in this forum knows I am someone who is almost always ready for something new. When new powder and bullets come out, I am usually one of the first to experiment with them. I have also tried a couple of experimental barrel treatments which turned out to be not quite what was promoted or hoped for. I have found that most of the hype of new stuff is hype. Sometimes there is a little increased beneifit and sometimes like in the case of RL17, it actually exceeds what was projected. I have also been very interested in the nitriding treatments and will be sending 3 rifles in very soon. IMO, that's the way to go for extended barrel life. Higher velocities, easy cleaning, corrsion resistance, smooth actions.

Good luck with your build and keep us posted on progress. I'll do the same with my nitrided 6.5 WSM

BTW, are you an old SAC guy? That Skyking call sign brings back memories for SAC guys.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 08-27-2013, 03:57 PM
Official LRH Spponsor

Nope I am not with SAC. Talked to him on the phone once. I am a pilot.

I am the same way with trying new things. I also tried the Meloniting my barrels. Re: "Melonite barrel treatment" (DONE)!!!!
Good luck with yours.

Old 08-27-2013, 04:17 PM
Platinum Member

A 6.5 SAUM should have zero issues with 3100fps from a normal length barrel, I'm shooting a 6.5 SS which is a wildcat using the SAUM as a parent case, pushed back and blown out shoulder with a little less capacity and I can easily run 140's at 3200 fps while cycling through a standard short action box mag with excellent bullet seating so 3100 from a SAUM would not be humping it!!
We have two 6.5 chamberings that are running a 140 in the 3100-3200 fps and the 160's in the 3000fps range, one is passing 400 rounds and the other 1000 rounds and they'll keep cruising from the looks of the throat and the accuracy.

I think how guys take care of their throats and how they clean make a huge difference in perceived barrel life, IMO!

"Pain is weakness leaving your body"
Old 08-27-2013, 05:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigngreen View Post
A 6.5 SAUM should have zero issues with 3100fps from a normal length barrel, I'm shooting a 6.5 SS which is a wildcat using the SAUM as a parent case, pushed back and blown out shoulder with a little less capacity and I can easily run 140's at 3200 fps while cycling through a standard short action box mag with excellent bullet seating so 3100 from a SAUM would not be humping it!!
We have two 6.5 chamberings that are running a 140 in the 3100-3200 fps and the 160's in the 3000fps range, one is passing 400 rounds and the other 1000 rounds and they'll keep cruising from the looks of the throat and the accuracy.

I think how guys take care of their throats and how they clean make a huge difference in perceived barrel life, IMO!
Rhian,

Making 3100 fps wasn't the question. It was making it with 53,000 pressure which is the premiss of triple the life.

~ John Quincy Adams