Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

6.5 saum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2013, 05:56 PM
Gold Member

Re: 6.5 saum

New GAP Extreme Hunter in 6.5 SAUM

This is my 1st option to rebarrel my Surgeon 591, possibly next year. I'm thinking 24"-26" barrel, with a Thunderbeast suppressor, and pushing 140 gr pills to an easy 3100 fps will be an awesome killer. And it looks like all this with outstanding barrel life.

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, tears in my eyes: If you f*ck with me, I'll kill you all." Marine General Mattis

Custom built 7mm SAUM
Old 08-18-2013, 07:16 PM
Platinum Member

No,
Don't credit it with barrel life.
It's gonna have a little worse barrel life than a 6.5x284(which is ~1200rnds with group shooting).

I'd stay away from the Rem mag just because of the belt.
I wonder why you skipped over similar dimension but shorter WSSM. Same case head, shorter, thicker, and with a capacity that's perfect for 26cal (matching 260AI). Better barrel life and still 140s at 3000+. Win reloading brass is relatively cheap and for the WSSM, which is a special run, it's very good. It's just so thick that necks need to be turned.

Anyway, your talking short actions so you should be reminded of the magnum diameter of these cases. You need a true magnum action to get enough barrel steel around the chamber, otherwise you pressure out before reaching potential of any of these cartridge's.
So many have failed with these wildcats because they didn't plan for this..
Old 08-18-2013, 08:04 PM
Gold Member

If you read the tread, there are a couple shooters that have over 3k rounds through their barrels and still sub MOA. They contribute that to "only" pushing the 140's with a mild H1000 load around 3100 fps, not a hot 3300. They claim the less chamber pressure (with slower powder)=much longer barrel life. I'm somewhat skeptical, but optimistic...

"Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
"I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you, tears in my eyes: If you f*ck with me, I'll kill you all." Marine General Mattis

Custom built 7mm SAUM
Old 08-25-2013, 11:41 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JARHEAD1371 View Post
If you read the tread, there are a couple shooters that have over 3k rounds through their barrels and still sub MOA. They contribute that to "only" pushing the 140's with a mild H1000 load around 3100 fps, not a hot 3300. They claim the less chamber pressure (with slower powder)=much longer barrel life. I'm somewhat skeptical, but optimistic...
I believe it to be true, George won a big match with it just to prove it was still dependable and fully capable.

They have a bbl twist rate, powder,charge and all wrote out for a recipe to get good ballistics and good bbl life.

Is it a .308's bbl life? NO
But it is much better than other cartridges that offer the same performance.

It is not pushed as hard as it can be and you can deff soup it up more to get all you can but then you will lose bbl life.

Everything is well thought out to go together and make for a very good combo.

Let us know how you like it.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:48 PM
Platinum Member

See the thing is, 'sub moa' is not at all accurate...
Loaded up to potential, I'm sure the 6.5saum from a GAP gun is truly accurate(well under 1/2moa) -AND THERE IS GREATLY REDUCED BARREL LIFE THERE.
Don't trick yourself, pick one or the other, and accept that there is a price for everything.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:09 PM
Platinum Member

You may want to look at this thread as well. I would look really hard at building this if I was looking for a short 6.5 Mag. If nothing else you will probably glean some great info on the process, similar loads, etc.

6.5 ss final design

Scot E.
Old 08-25-2013, 04:08 PM
Silver Member

I have two 6.5 WSM rifles. One is a Model 70 the other is a Miroku 1885 Highwall replica. I like the 6.5 target and game bullets. Both are hunting rifles. I keep a load development scope and a hunting (3-9X) scope on detachable mounts for each.

The advantage of the Winchester design is that Norma and Nosler brass is available. I recently purchased Nosler .270 WSM cases. They are very expensive. More than $2 each. They are also weight sorted to 0.10 grain. Try to grab some random Remington cases and see what you get. The Norma brass is from the same factory as the Nosler but is not trimmed, chamfered and sorted. Emphasis on the sorted. You could sort the Norma brass and have the same thing. I have cycled through 3 barrels in 6.5 WSM and am getting another replaced at the riflesmith as we speak. I still am using the orginal Norma brass. They have been annealed twice but are still not just useable but great. I have lost some to loose primer pockets which speaks to my reloading philosophy which as a friend (who also has a 6.5 WSM and is on his second barrel) labels "on the ragged edge".

The Remington case gives you a more compact case for magazine cycling and a little less performance with accompanying less wear and tear on the barrel. I am currently building a 6.5 - 270 Ackley with about the same capacity as the Remington Short Mag. I will get a longer shoulder for partial sizing and centering the bullets. The barrel life is also greater with longer neck cartridges. One of my WSMs is nitrocarburized and the other is not. I treat all bullets with HBN which all but eliminates copper fouling.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
6.5 saum-p1010736.jpg   6.5 saum-p1010985.jpg  

6.5 saum-p1020131.jpg