Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

6.5 Prometheus (6.5 PRO) 140 gr. 3700 fps

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2013, 01:56 AM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Re: 6.5 Prometheus (6.5 PRO) 140 gr. 3700 fps

Did Mark put that together got you? I swear I saw that rifle in his shop a week or two ago.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 12-17-2013, 02:36 AM
Platinum Member

Any consideration/attention given to powder bridging?

The couple of times that "bridging" occurred I'm fairly certain that the old Rem 721 action was "proof" tested to a major extent. Almost couldn't extract the fired cases without great fear of tearing off the bolt. Primers rattled around like they were small rifle primers. Just saying. . .

It's a big problem in a 300 RUM Improved case necked to 0.277 with stick powders with kernels larger than those of 7828ssc. And 7828ssc can be used with 150 class bullets and smaller.

Ball powder, namely US-869 is the go to powder for several reasons. Sure do need a better powder though. The only really good thing about it is that it flows nicely.
Old 12-17-2013, 03:47 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
Sweet looking rifle! Probably the most powerful 6.5 on the planet.

Don't know about that, there are a couple of fire breathing 6.5 dragons out there, ( hey wow...awesome name for my next project ! 500 Jeffery necked down to 6.5 = 6.5 Dragon ?, 6.5 Smaug ?? )

We have the 6.5 Ultra Cat (6.5 Rum) 6.5 AM and the almost identical 6.5 Osprey Mag,

6.5 Osprey Mag Photo

the real difference in that one is the case head is turned/ rebated, less body taper and shorter neck .. ie more capacity, most likely a few more grains than my wildcat , is it needed in this case with such a skinny bullet ? why not ? somebody has to move the boulders offa the road for the rest to follow, right ?
it works for the guy who came up with it, I don't see why not, The rebated case head is similar scenario with the 284 Win case and 500 Jeffery ! I'm liking the Idea of not having to alter the boltface in a Rem Mag action, gotta check it out to see how it works ! We need to keep pushing at all times and the manufacturers will eventually offer us heavier higher bc bullets, demand sells !

I've posted all my wildcat cartridge dimensions and will do so again, nothing glamourous or innovative in Frankensteining an existing cartridge case , don't see why guys are so secretive about shoulder angle, neck length and blah, blah, blah .... it is still a tweaked version of the original, not a new design by a long shot ! ha .. pun intended ! after the shooting is done look on the bottom of the case head, what does it say ?

these are the dimensions for my 6.5 Prometheus , if they appear funky that is because I wanted a longer than usual neck for a 6.5 and also it had to fit, feed and cycle properly through the AICS cip 5 round magazines without having to seat the bullets below the base of the neck impacting powder space ..
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
6.5 Prometheus (6.5 PRO) 140 gr. 3700 fps-image.jpg  

"In guns, particularly firearms, caliber or calibre is the approximate internal diameter of the barrel, or the diameter of the projectile it fires."
WIKIPEDIA

"Fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"
Sigmund Freud
Old 12-17-2013, 04:23 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Eichele View Post
Did Mark put that together got you? I swear I saw that rifle in his shop a week or two ago.

Yes sir ,

he also did my other 3 barrels in my wildcats for this rifle,
30" Rock Creek 10 twist AMU in 7.62 PRO
30" Brux 9.5 twist Rem Varmint in 338 PRO
29" Brux 12 twist #5 in 375 PRO

all are based on the 338 Norma Mag case with 35 degree shoulder

"In guns, particularly firearms, caliber or calibre is the approximate internal diameter of the barrel, or the diameter of the projectile it fires."
WIKIPEDIA

Sigmund Freud
Old 12-17-2013, 05:18 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by royinidaho View Post
Any consideration/attention given to powder bridging?

The couple of times that "bridging" occurred I'm fairly certain that the old Rem 721 action was "proof" tested to a major extent. Almost couldn't extract the fired cases without great fear of tearing off the bolt. Primers rattled around like they were small rifle primers. Just saying. . .

It's a big problem in a 300 RUM Improved case necked to 0.277 with stick powders with kernels larger than those of 7828ssc. And 7828ssc can be used with 150 class bullets and smaller.

Ball powder, namely US-869 is the go to powder for several reasons. Sure do need a better powder though. The only really good thing about it is that it flows nicely.

Roy,
I have considered the potential powder bridging problem and do have a considerable amount of
that dirty burning H-870 (old US 869 ?) on my shelf along with some AA8700, I forgot to mention them, I will be testing the slowest ball powders first and go from there.. I am hoping the faster powders will work with the 127 gr Barnes LRX bullets, bc is not the greatest at .468 but pushed at extreme velocity it should make a fantastic 600 yard hunting bullet,

please share your knowledge and experience with this phenomenon called powder bridging, we all can learn more from shared wisdom, any input and advice will be greatly appreciated

WIKIPEDIA

Sigmund Freud
Old 12-17-2013, 10:47 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamplord View Post
Roy,
I have considered the potential powder bridging problem and do have a considerable amount of
that dirty burning H-870 (old US 869 ?) on my shelf along with some AA8700, I forgot to mention them, I will be testing the slowest ball powders first and go from there.. I am hoping the faster powders will work with the 127 gr Barnes LRX bullets, bc is not the greatest at .468 but pushed at extreme velocity it should make a fantastic 600 yard hunting bullet,

please share your knowledge and experience with this phenomenon called powder bridging, we all can learn more from shared wisdom, any input and advice will be greatly appreciated
Here ya go, this might save Roy some typing.

Powder Bridging??? Fiftydriver

Powder Bridging for Kiwi Nate & Tang et al

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 12-17-2013, 11:09 AM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamplord View Post
Yes sir ,

he also did my other 3 barrels in my wildcats for this rifle,
30" Rock Creek 10 twist AMU in 7.62 PRO
30" Brux 9.5 twist Rem Varmint in 338 PRO
29" Brux 12 twist #5 in 375 PRO

all are based on the 338 Norma Mag case with 35 degree shoulder
It was the AMU 30 cal that I saw. Let me know how it shoots. I take it there are no smiths in the Seward area?
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.