Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

6.5 Creedmoor and others...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2008, 09:25 PM
Silver Member

Re: 6.5 Creedmoor and others...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffersonv View Post
I'm with you there Hyper, the more choices the better.

Though I don't technically own a .260 or a Creedmore, I am building one as we speak. (or write) I haven't decided which one yet but my barrel purchase is coming up!
I have spent some time with my neighbors .260 and love it.

Is it your understanding that one of these cartridges outperforms the other?

I based all of my comments on the premise that they were neck and neck performance wise. I believe the powder capacity and pressure is very similar for both.
Correct me if I'm wrong?
If this is the case, barrel lengths on ballistic charts should not mean much.

I think the soft shoulder on the .260 would give it an advantage in feeding.

I like the less tapered, sharper shouldered case design (I concede I might be a little funny that way) of the Creedmoor and as I said in my last post, since it is a little shorter it can more easily seat a longer bullet and still fit in the mag well.

If there is something I am missing about the .260 having a performance advantage over the Creedmoor, please clue me in!!!
Well basing what I had posted on the 260 from a 22" barrel and having acheived numbers very close to what Hornady is advertising with a 28" barrel. I would have to say that I am loosing potential velocity with a barrel 6" shorter. I of course am not going to go to a 28" barrel to prove anything one way or the other. Now I would go 26" and probably will do so in the near future to take advantage of slower powders like H-1000 and IMR-7828 and the sustained pressure curves they provide versus H-4350 or similar burn rate powders. I can't quite remember what the psi spec on the Creed was but I think it was under 60,000 psi from an article I had read. I have no idea what the 260 is at but the 7-08 is sammi at 61,000 and the 308 is 62,000 so I would guess that it would be at least 60,000 or a bit more.

My understanding of performance advantage or disadvantage is measuring velocity from two platforms the same with the same barrel length one chambered in 260 and one in creedmore with different powders bullets and so on.

I feel the advantage the 260 should have over the Creedmore is the ability to use powders slower than H-4350 and even H-4831 The Creedmore perhaps might work ok with H-4831 or a powder of similar burn rate but one of the slow boys like posted above I think is a no go. Plus if you have a 260 and run out of brass and can't find 260 brass you can reform 243 or 7-08 or even 308 yes you will have to do some neck turning if you have tight tolerances but that is part and parcel for any rifle built tight to get every bit of accuracy that can be had.

I am more than pleased with the 260 and can't fathom bulding something that is so similar that migh be problematic to get brass for in a pinch. Factory ammo for the 260 sucks no arguement with me on that one, so the Creedmore is one up in that department.

When it is all said and done you are going to build what you like and what suits you best perhaps the Creedmore will surpass the 260 which wont be much of a feat with solid support from Hornady unlike Remmy who have let the 260 wither on the vine as they have done with other good cartridges. Time will tell.
Old 11-22-2008, 09:13 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hypersonic View Post
I feel the advantage the 260 should have over the Creedmore is the ability to use powders slower than H-4350 and even H-4831 The Creedmore perhaps might work ok with H-4831 or a powder of similar burn rate but one of the slow boys like posted above I think is a no go.
Except for the fact that factory loaded ammo from Hornady is charged with H-4350? C'mon, give it a chance! I think it has a lot to offer, as does the .260.
Old 11-22-2008, 11:27 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffersonv View Post
Except for the fact that factory loaded ammo from Hornady is charged with H-4350? C'mon, give it a chance! I think it has a lot to offer, as does the .260.
I am not condeming the cartrige in the least, you asked questions about potetintal advantage the 260 would have over the Creedmore.

"If there is something I am missing about the .260 having a performance advantage over the Creedmoor, please clue me in!!!"

Exactly your words from a previous post. I replied that the .260 has the ability to use slower powders that can take advantage of a longer barrel. Well now the factory ammo from Hornady is loaded with H-4350!!!!! and I and many others have been able to match or come very close to the Creedmore numbers with shorter barrels that advertised by Hornady in their ad's with H-4350 also with H-4831. I did not praise or condem the Creedmore! I only gave my experience with the 260 cartridge and I have shot it a lot and have taken a lot of game with it. I am not going to go on about what I think anymore about comparing the two cartridges as from reading your last post it is a waste of my time. I provided information from experience with one cartridge to the orignal poster of this tread, and as of right now any thing else is mute null and void. I have Deer to skin and If I could figure out how to post a picture I would.

Guy M if you decide to go with the 260 Rem and would like any load info please drop me a pm and I will be more than happy to send you all the data I have from 100 grain bullets up to 140 grain bullets.
Old 11-27-2008, 09:34 AM

Ruger is going to make their target model in 6.5 Creedmor.
Also, all of these 6.5's might take another step up with Reloader 17......
Old 11-27-2008, 11:50 PM
Silver Member

Can't speak the the Creedmor, but I did have a Rem LTR rebarrelled with a Rock barrel and chambered in .260AI. With a 24" 1-8" twist I can drive 130gr VLD's to 3000fps without any issues using H4350. I ran out of case capacity with H4831 before pressure signs and speeds were down around 2800fps.

It is a fantastic rifle that shoots a few rounds very well. Used it on a 4x4 mulie two days ago. Distance was only 350 yards, but the 130gr Berger hit the last rib on the way in, liquified the lungs and some other undentifieable parts inside and lodged up under the hide by the far side shoulder. The deer didn't move or twitch, dropped right there.

The only thing I don't like is the Beger has to be seated out so far it is a single feed deal. The 142gr MK's look promising though and they are mag feedable.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:59 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPR1 View Post
Ruger is going to make their target model in 6.5 Creedmor.
Also, all of these 6.5's might take another step up with Reloader 17......
Interesting Hopefully we will be able to see some data soon with RL-17 and some of the 6.5's it is supposed to be similar in burn rate to IMR 4350 from what I have read and was introduced with the short mags in mind. Not saying it will not work but it might not provide a lot more over the other 4350's if it does excellent if it does not well that's something different.
Old 11-28-2008, 06:25 AM

check out this link:
Alliant Reloder 17