Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

6.5 Creedmoor or not?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2011, 06:31 PM
Gold Member

6.5 Creedmoor or not?

I'm trying to talk myself into a 6.5 Creedmoor for coyotes and longer shots on gophers. I'm just not familiar enough with it to be sure yet. I've got a gap between my 204 and 270win that needs to be filled, and the light recoil etc is awful tempting. But I'm wondering if i'd be better off with a 243, 25-06, maybe 6mm, etc. So far the Creedmoor is looking best. I know it's known for accuracy and light recoil, but that's about it. Bullet selection isn't as wide as the 243, and I know next to nothing about the 25-06. I'd like something easy on the shoulder so my wife can can use it as well ( I'd like to shoot my 204 once in a while too) But also something hard hitting enough for some medium range deer. What do y'all think, is this new Creedmoor the real deal, or am I better off with something tried n true?
Old 12-16-2011, 07:09 PM
Silver Member

Re: 6.5 Creedmoor or not?

I got a chance to shoot this at "Savage Day" at my club, I don't know about light recoil, maybe it was just a heavy load. But a very nice gun I must add.

I have several friends that shoot .243 and I like that cartridge. I have one friend that uses it for woodchucks with a 55 grain Sierra and it is very soft shooting.
Old 12-16-2011, 10:48 PM
Platinum Member

I would go 243AI or 6XC and shoot the 105 Amax or the a 115gn of some type. Will be very accurate, and do the job you want it too do.

Tank
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 12-17-2011, 09:22 AM
Silver Member

The 6.5Creedmoor is the real deal. May I suggest you visit The 6.5 Creedmoor Forum - Portal to hear from owners of this fine shooting round.
Chas
Old 12-17-2011, 10:16 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zep View Post
I got a chance to shoot this at "Savage Day" at my club, I don't know about light recoil, maybe it was just a heavy load. But a very nice gun I must add.

I have several friends that shoot .243 and I like that cartridge. I have one friend that uses it for woodchucks with a 55 grain Sierra and it is very soft shooting.
Maybe I should clarify "light" recoiling. I go from a varmint 204 to a 270win shooting at max load, then to a 7mm rem mag (with several hot loads), to a 338 lapua sporter weight with no break. So "light" doesn't have to be 22lr light, just something I can put a bunch of rounds down the pipe in a sitting without getting beat up.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:33 AM
Silver Member

I was not thinking about you, I was thinking about your wife. I just wanted you to have something she would be happy with.

You know what you are doing.

--

Just wanted to add, I grew up shooting wise as a shotgunner shooting clay, put more that 100,000 shells thru one gun alone and I have always gravitated toward the least amount of recoil to get the job done. Makes things more fun and I don't have a flinch, "knock on wood".
Old 12-19-2011, 08:54 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zep View Post
I was not thinking about you, I was thinking about your wife. I just wanted you to have something she would be happy with.

You know what you are doing.

--

Just wanted to add, I grew up shooting wise as a shotgunner shooting clay, put more that 100,000 shells thru one gun alone and I have always gravitated toward the least amount of recoil to get the job done. Makes things more fun and I don't have a flinch, "knock on wood".
I hear ya one that one. My old man was always a "bring enough gun guy" which is fine for him. He shoots about 4 rounds a year- 1-sight in elk gun 2-kill elk 3- sight in deer gun... I don't know how many times I've heard "you wont feel it in the field". It took me quite a while to get over the flinch I developed as a kid. His idea of practicing shooting technique was taking the 22 and a box of shells out to the gopher field.

Once i got old enough to shoot when I wanted to, I was just so used to big guns that thats what I shoot. Now that I've got a few more years of shooting (and a wife that's not a fan of any recoil at all), I'm beginning to better understand the "least amount of recoil to get the job done theory". A well placed shot vs an artillery strike, I guess.

I think I'll take look at the Savage. Does anyone know who else is chambering the 6.5 Creedmoor.