Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

6.5 bullets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2004, 11:02 PM
Silver Member

Re: 6.5 bullets

Jerry,..I am suprised as well. I don't plan on giving up though [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img] I wish that hornady would neglect to include the cannelure on the SST's [img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]

By fully engraved,..I assume you don't mean into the lands do you? I usually start right at the lands and work from there. That variable hasn't been changed yet in testing.
Old 11-27-2004, 04:19 PM
Bronze Member

Where do you get the 150 gr VLD and 160 Gr bullets?I have been using 155 gr lapula bullets in my 264 win mag with good luch.I shot two pronghorn does in Mt it hammered them at 375 yards.I shot a 250 8 pointer at 40 yards it did a good job no bloodshot!I might try the 155 grs on caribou next year.
Old 11-27-2004, 05:25 PM
Platinum Member

FiftyDriver,

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> They do have a 0.060" longer baring surface so you will need to seat this much deeper in the case which is generally not a problem especially if you turn your necks and use a donut removing inside neck reamer along with the outside turner. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If case necks are expanded on the appropiate mandral and then neck turned why would you need to ream cases to remove the donuts? Wouldn't the dounuts be pushed to the outside (during the expansion phase) where the turner blade cuts them off as you neck turn?

That is what I have always believed.

I have never reamed case necks believing that this could lead to creating inconsistencies rather than eliminating them. It is also a pain in the neck.

VH
Old 11-28-2004, 10:35 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

VH,

Some of my customers feel this donut will result in inconsistant gas flow through the case neck. THey are more technical then I am but I do see some use in removing this donut.

This is mainly with wildcats that need to be necked down from what I have seen. I also do not like to have a two diameter neck if you will because they seem to work harden faster for some reason.

Also, in a tight or min neck chamber, if a donut is present it can grow in thickness with the more firing on the case. On the initial firing things may have plenty of bullet release, onthe secon and third and fourth, you may get a situation where the case neck can not fully release the bullet and pressures will change as a result and your POI will also shift slightly.

In factory chambers or looser fit necks, this probably makes no difference at all but in my tight necks I have seen this.

In fact the first time I noticed it was with my 6mm-284. I turn my necks to 0.0015" under chamber neck diameter on a loaded round and after a couple firings, you could not slip a bullet throught the mouth of a fired case. It woudl slide freely intil it hit the donut and then could not be pushed down any more.

I started reaming along with turning at the same time and this took care of the problem.

Yes if you use a mandrel properly, it will push most of the donut thickness to the outside of the neck where the turning cutter can clean it off but it also lifts the portion of the neck ahead of the donut up as well which will result in an inconsistant neck thickness comparing the neck thickness from the mouth to the neck/shoulder junction. IT will be slightly thinned just ahead of where the donut was.

This occurs to a higher degree with cases that have been fired a few times and are work hardened a bit but when turned as virgin brass this is not a huge deal but it does happen.

As a machinist I know that when you move material out of position from one location, it often take some degree of the material around it to a different location as well.

I just prefer to remove it where it is originally so that no other material will be displaced in the expanding process/

maybe a silly theory but it has worked for me so far.

Good Shooting!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 11-28-2004, 11:27 AM
Platinum Member

Another question;

When you ream a neck; is this done before or after resizing the neck?

VH
Old 11-28-2004, 11:59 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

VH,

IT is after sizing with the proper bushing in the Redding Comp Die. I neck them down to provide 0.001" under reamer size so that the reamer only takes off 0.0005" off the inside at most. With normal brass spring back, the inside diameter is generally nearly identical to the reaming mandral. Only thing that is cut is the donut and the reamer just acts as support for the outside cutter for the majority of the cut.

If oyu think about it, we are doing the same thing only on the opposite side of the neck.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 11-28-2004, 01:18 PM
Platinum Member

I think the 140 A-Max would be my 1st choice.

Another note on expanding a neck to remove a doughnut with outside turning verses reaming; When you run a expander mandrel into the neck, the reinforced area at the neck/shoulder juncture will always resist expansion more than the rest of the neck above it will, and thus will still leave a doughnut on the inside. Slide a tight fitting mandrel inside an already expanded neck and you will feel the doughnut still exists. Reaming will eliminate them though. I use 0000 steel wool on a neck brush on the inside aferward to polish them, 4-5 round trips is all it takes though.