Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

6.5 build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2012, 09:16 PM

6.5 build

Hi all,

I have been reading this forum for quite some time and have really enjoyed all of the great info here. With that being said, I have a dilemma on my hands. I am finally taking the plunge and building a 6.5, but I am struggling with what one since I don't have any experience with any bullet smaller than a .308 for big game hunting. Here are the build parts:

Rem 700 LA mag bolt face
Krieger 1:8 28.5" Light varmint
Manners MCS T
Stock rem DM, or Seekins AICS DBM (not sure yet)

I would like to be able to take a white tail out to 1000 and elk up to 400. It will also be used for the occasional coyote, black bear, and cougar. I will almost exclusively be using 140 berger's. Longer barrel life would be nice, but not a necessity. Recoil isn't a big issue, less is always better, but I can always put a brake on. I would love to have a big boy barrel burner, but I'm trying to stick with what I need to get the job done without really complicated hand loading and fire forming (I haven't been hand loading that long).

I think that a MV of at least 3100 (preferably over 3200) would do all I want it to. So far I am thinking of the .264 WM, 6.5 WSM, and the 6.5 STW. I know the STW is a little more than I need, but for some reason it is a really attractive cartridge to me. The 6.5 WSM is probably in the lead due to the fact that I can use it in the LA magazine and not worry about COAL and since I have almost no experience reloading belted magnums there would be less of a learning curve with the WSM.

So I guess my questions are; What are your guys opinions of these three and are there any other 6.5 loads that should be thrown in the mix with these three that don't require any bolt face work? Is it really as difficult to load belted magnums as some people make it seem, especially since I plan on buying custom dies if the round dictates it?

Any help is much appreciated. Thank you,

Tyler
Old 06-17-2012, 10:15 PM
Gold Member

Re: 6.5 build

Another option is the 6.5 Remington Magnum

It is like a mini- 264 win mag

I have rebarreled two 300 win mag actions into 6.5 rem mags, one with a 26" Douglas and another with a 26" Shilen. Sold the Shilen to a friend and kept the Douglas

It is a commercial cartridge which means commercially made dies and cases.

Mine will push a 140 gr bullet at 3100 fps and a 130 gr bullet to 3200 fps. It uses a faster powder than the 264 win mag and thus will be easier on barrels.

Works perfect in both the long actions I rebarreled. You can set the lands to seat those long bullets way out there

Old 06-18-2012, 10:01 AM
Platinum Member

I was in your shoes about a year ago & to help my 6.5WSM should be completed this month.

I wanted something different & bad ass... I got a smoking deal on a Stiller S/A so... the long action cals were out. No big deal..

264 STW.... unless running an AM, this is pretty much king of the hill... LTLR has posted some amazing velocity with the 264STW... When your throat starts to get bad, my money says the STW will shred the 140VLD's at top velocity... probably not the best bullet for this combo...

.264 WM... Better balance of velocity & BBL life. Not as fast as the STW but better brass selection, will work best with the 140VLD & offer great external ballistics.

6.5WSM... kind of the red headed bastard child.... Some love some really hate it ... reputation as a barrel eating, fire breathing dragon of mythical lore... Supposed to be in the area just above the 264 mag... the short fat powder column should make it easier to obtain consistency. The Shorter OAL will make it easier to set you bullets out LONG & utilize all of your powder capacity. Mine is a single shot.... With the reputation the WSM has gained, my guess is it will also shred the VLD's after 4-500 rounds... just a SWAG there.

If Lapua really does manufacture the 7RSAUM brass like we've been lead to believe, I would hands down say the 6.5 RSAUM will be a better selection than the WSM... More efficient & darn near as fast...

At very least, if you intend to mag feed, you might look at the Wyatts extended mag box... there is no such thing as too much room in the box... especially when you start chasing the lands
Old 06-18-2012, 03:21 PM
Platinum Member

For a shorter cartridge using a mag bolt face my vote goes to the 6.5 rem mag 3150fps+ with a 28" barrel, for a long cartridge my vote goes to the 6.5x257wby mag 3350+ in a 28, just a tid slower than the 264 stw but much longer barrel life, even longer than the 264win mag.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:22 AM

Woods,

Thank you for the info on the 6.5 rem. It was kind of on my radar before but two things held me back. I didn't think they were pushing 140s over 3100 and I figured if I was going to reload for a comercially chambered belted cartridge then why not just go with the 264 win mag. I'm still learning about how different powders can effect barrel life so how much longer life would we be talking about?

Outlaw6.0,

I like the idea of the 6.5wsm if I go with the s/a. Mainly because there is a lot of brass out there and there is no belt to deal with. Let me know how you like it after you get it. As for the DBM. I have looked into wyatts, but would probably go with another seekins if I wanted to have a lot of room in the mag. A long the lines of bullets. I would really like to use the bergers since I have had nothing but good luck with them, but a lot of people have been warning me that they might not make it at speeds above about 3300 in a 1-8 twist and in a barrel with a couple hundred rounds down it. What are some other 140s you would suggest? Would it be worth ordering another barrel in a 1-8.5 twist or even a 1-9 to try a stick with the bergers?

Backwoods83,

I could be wrong, but from what I understand the 6.5/257 wby should be almost right on par with what the 264 wm should do. But the wm would do it without the costly brass and the more difficult (from what I've heard) reloading of the weatherby case. And how would this round extend barrel life over the 264?

I am still pretty new at the whole custom rifle thing and especially when it comes to wild cats in custom guns, so I apologize if some of my questions or thoughts seem like no brainers to some of you more experienced guys. Thank you for the help.

Tyler
Old 06-19-2012, 12:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyfo View Post
Outlaw6.0,

I like the idea of the 6.5wsm if I go with the s/a. Mainly because there is a lot of brass out there and there is no belt to deal with. Let me know how you like it after you get it. As for the DBM. I have looked into wyatts, but would probably go with another seekins if I wanted to have a lot of room in the mag. A long the lines of bullets. I would really like to use the bergers since I have had nothing but good luck with them, but a lot of people have been warning me that they might not make it at speeds above about 3300 in a 1-8 twist and in a barrel with a couple hundred rounds down it. What are some other 140s you would suggest? Would it be worth ordering another barrel in a 1-8.5 twist or even a 1-9 to try a stick with the bergers?

Tyler
Well, from one Tyler to another The Seekins DBM will allow 3.100 OAL which is .002 over where i'm sitting right now. I'm running a 1-8.4 twist Obermeyer 5R in my WSM.... The first bullet I intend to run is the 130 Cutting Edge Bullet. If you are dead set on 140's the Accubomb will not disintegrate en route. I would play with this...JBM - Calculations - Stability The JBM stability Calculator should give you a good idea of whether or not the 1-9 will stabilize your 140. My intuition says it will, but I don't know.

Old 06-19-2012, 01:25 PM
Platinum Member

To the OP, the 6.5x257wby mag holds 2.4grns more h2o than the 264wm and operates at a higher pressure. The extended barrel life is due to case design and the extra long neck of the wby case. This round is easy to load for, no high dollar dies. McHorter runs the 140s just under 3300 and the 130s just under 3400 in a 26" barrel. Anything north of a 260rem is hard on barrels when fired rapidily, in 26 cal that is.