Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

Which 6.5 ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2013, 09:09 AM
Platinum Member

Re: Which 6.5 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrindlh View Post
Thank you all for the replys. I am not looking for high speed. I really do not want to rebarrel my barrel after 1000 rds. Sargesniper what kind of velocity are you achieving with a 30 in barrel in your 260.
Bebchracer I am looking at the predator max 10 or 110. These three chamberongs are offered in this rifle. I like the heavier profile barrel of the max 10 or 110 over the other offerings.
Greyfox do you shoot the 140 bergers? Did you change the stock or is it the factory accustock?

Darrin
I use 140 VLD's and get 2965 FPS. The Predator in 6.5-284 I shot had the factory hunting stock. I have an LRH in 6.5-284 and a Predator in 22-250. I use both with the factory stocks. For hunting they work fine for me. Both rifles hold .25-.5 MOA.

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready"-T. Roosevelt
Old 05-21-2013, 09:20 AM
Silver Member

So after shooting both the predator and the lrh in the 6.5x284which did you prefer shooting? I know both shot extremely well so prob either would suffice . Thanks again for your help

Darrin
Old 05-21-2013, 09:46 AM
Platinum Member

I just ordered the Predator Hunter Max in 6.5 Creed.... Man that's an ugly stock.... So much for the budget, that thing's gotta go

I was looking for something to feed my 6.5 addiction w/o torching the throat of my 6.5WSM. Since I have the WSM I felt the x284 wasn't necessary. I'm looking to utilize the Creed as a work horse/trainer of sorts. Needed lots 'o' barrel life.

The Creed & 260 are so close it's a wash. The 260 does offer Lapua brass which is a huge Pro in itself. The new Hornady brass is receiving fantastic reviews so I'm not too worried as it has offered availability above & beyond that of Lapua.

One poster stated above "if you shoot factory ammo, buy the Creed". << Dern good advice right there. Hornady's factory match ammo (all I can find is the 123's right now) is supposed to be damn good. You CAN get 260 match ammo but it's harder to find & generally more expensive.

I just ordered 2 boxes of 6.5Creed loaded with 130bergers from Copper Creek, there's another 200 rounds of brass coming from Cabelas. We'll see how the Bergers do, it not it's all JLK or Matrix from there.

t

Old 05-21-2013, 10:12 AM
Silver Member

Outlaw, are you reading my mind. Me too I want my 6.5 to be my workhorse training gun . I can shoot that thing all day long and the 6.5 will help me with my wind calls. What grain of bullet are you going to shoot in your creed? Thank you for your help

Darrin
Old 05-21-2013, 10:26 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Outlaw, are you reading my mind. Me too I want my 6.5 to be my workhorse training gun . I can shoot that thing all day long and the 6.5 will help me with my wind calls. What grain of bullet are you going to shoot in your creed? Thank you for your help

Darrin

You're more than welcome, that's why this site exists. The loaded ammo I purchased is loaded with the 130grain Berger Hunting VLD. If that doesn't shoot, I've read MANY reports of excellent results with the Factory 140grn A-Max ammo. Both of which could be used to wack a goat or deer , you know, just in case

I will be handloading for this at some point. I'm thinking the 130 grain JLK's would be just about perfect for this case. Higher BC than the Berger & light enough to get good velocity. We'll see what she likes, that's the good (& sometimes bad) thing about reloading, you get to try different things.*

*Caution: Testing various bullet/powder combinations in copious amounts has been know by the State of Wyoming to cause mild to severe cases of Tinkeritis.

t

Old 05-21-2013, 10:48 AM
Silver Member

Holy cow the 130 jlk is awesome. Is .620 the true bc? Man I just love a rifle that not a lot of people have . I think I'm leaning towards the 6.5 predator and then bed it in a Mcree percision stock. I'm thinking the 130's at 2900 would be sweet. What Do you think 2900 is a reach with the 130's?

Darrin
Old 05-21-2013, 10:56 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Holy cow the 130 jlk is awesome. Is .620 the true bc? Man I just love a rifle that not a lot of people have . I think I'm leaning towards the 6.5 predator and then bed it in a Mcree percision stock. I'm thinking the 130's at 2900 would be sweet. What Do you think 2900 is a reach with the 130's?

Darrin

2900 should be doable, I've heard 2850-ish with the 140's. In all honesty I can't say. My SWAG ability says it should be damn close. Maybe RL-17 or a VV-N? Series?

I've used Mcree's chassis before, damn good equipment. How do you get around the bolt release on the trigger guard of the new Savages?? I'm still trying to figure that one out...

Instead of bedding the Mcrees, Check this out:

Surfin the day away. . .

Chad is CNC inletting Chassis to the exact dimensions of your action... tell me that ain't the cat's ass

t