Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

6.5-284 in a sa?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-15-2010, 06:59 PM
Bronze Member
Re: 6.5-284 in a sa?

Ya you are right, but my .325 is factory sporter weight with wood stock, it is light. I put a good pad on it and I can shoot it more comfortably now, it just gives me a golf-ball size knot in my shoulder at the end of the day. Looking at the recoil chart the 7 stw is less than the .325 and if i were to have one built it would definetly be heavier, which might get it down closer to a 30-06 in a light sporter weight or so? My friend has a .270 wsm in sporter weight and it is way more comfortable for me to shoot than my .325.

Unread 02-15-2010, 11:41 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by X3MHunter View Post
7STW? I thought we were looking for lighter recoil!

Best get 2 or 3 barrels too
Unread 03-10-2010, 02:26 AM
Silver Member

Originally Posted by bellboy View Post
I think its because you have to seat those high b.c. bullets out so far to get them to perform, you would have loading problems. But like I said I would be shooting barnes bullets, I didn't check to see if the lengths were that much different for the say berger or the other popular long range bullets. I know guys have done it in a short action but I am new to custom rifles so I'm not a viable source. That's why I was asking. I don't want build a gun that is designed to shoot lead bullets for the once a year hunt i do out of state. I want it to be my all-around gun that I grab to go shoot squirrels, coyotes, or deer or for trying to shoot steel at 1000 yds.
I'm not opposed to the 6.5 wsm I just have read a lot of good things about the 6.5-284 Norma. If the wsm is only .07 shorter then maybe I could pull it off with the barned or e-tips (if they come out with a 6.5mm).

Thanx for the input, any more would be apreciated.

This is exactly what i was told. However what about a 6.5 rem mag?
Member of the 7 MM STW Club