close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

6.5-284 in a sa?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-12-2010, 09:52 AM
Silver Member

Re: 6.5-284 in a sa?

Quote:
If I were you I would built it on the Savage long action, you already have the correct bolt diameter
That's good thinking! It would be an easy barrel swap and that's about it.

If the Barnes don't shoot well, there are other unleaded alternatives now...
    Unread 02-12-2010, 10:05 AM
    Gold Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by bellboy View Post
    I thought I could have a smith change the bolt face. I really don't know, I just thought that is what you do. Mine is DBM also. .
    About changing the bolt face, it's a lot easier to open up the bolt face to a larger diameter than go the other way. Even here in Denver I don't believe I could find a smith to close up the bolt face on my Browning for a reasonable price. The smiths that I met have more profitable projects to do.
    So think $$$$.

Also, there is going to be a problem trying to get your Browning WSM magazine to feed SAUM. The SAUM is 0.20 shorter. This is enough to cause a problem feeding. The magazine will require some remodeling. It helps if you have done this before. Unless you can afford to throw $$ at magazines for experimenting, you would be better advised to stick with a WSM cartridge for your WSM magazine and WSM bolt face.

I have jumped through these hoops to get my 7mm SAUM Browning to feed and function as a repeater. Next time I will choose my cartridge from the magazines that are available from Browning.

You might be able to sell this rifle and buy something easier to customize.
    If you choose to build on a Remmy, Winny, or Savage you will not have this problem.

Hope this helps.

Unread 02-12-2010, 11:04 AM
    Platinum Member

Quote:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by 4bycamper View Post
    .... you would be better advised to stick with a WSM cartridge for your WSM magazine and WSM bolt face.
    I agree.... it's best to spend the money on the dies. You probably dont even have to go custom with Honady dies their seaters will seat for a varity of cartridgs and you can use a bushing die for sizng the 6.5 WSM.
    Unread 02-12-2010, 12:10 PM
    Bronze Member

Thank all of you for the input. I'm thinking I'm not going to mess with the browning yet, but when I do, its goin to stay as a wsm of some sort or sell it and get a remmy donor. I think I'm going to start with the savage LA. Maybe a 6.5-284 or a 7stw. Not really sure yet. Do any of you savage guys have any experience with "Sharp Shooter Supply"? I don't know of any reputable smiths in the area, not that there aren't any, Iv'e just never done this before. I'm not opposed to sending my gun off somewhere to get worked on. They are the only place I've found with left-handed savage stocks.
    Unread 02-12-2010, 05:11 PM
    Silver Member

Re: Sharp Shooter Supply

My friend is a Savage super freak and he highly recommends them, even swears by them.
    Unread 02-13-2010, 12:40 AM
    Bronze Member

oh really? thats good to hear. They are the only one's I've found who has left-handed stocks. I got to looking at my savage .243 LA and realized the mag is for a sa. Is that a big deal for a smith to open up the cut out for the mag to hold say 7stw? And I also have an old springfield 1903, I was wondering if that could be turned into a long range gun. the serial # is in the 200,000's and I'm pretty sure it has been rebarreled with the 4 groove rifling, because it is stamped 2-44. It has been drilled for scope mounts and had a scope on it. I got it from my great grandpa. It has a sporter stock so i know it has been shot somewhat recently. I don't think it is one of the ones that is at risk to blowing up on you.
    Unread 02-15-2010, 06:37 PM
    Silver Member

7STW? I thought we were looking for lighter recoil!

-X3M