close
Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

6.5-06, or 6.5-284

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Unread 02-17-2010, 05:49 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 6.5-06, or 6.5-284

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebark View Post
I'm building a 260 because all I had was a short-action. If I had a long-action to donate to the project, I'd go with the 6.5-06.
Well, I think that that I ve got some good options and some graet advice from you guys. I can build either the .260 or the 6.5-06 on the long action, non magnum. One final thought is this 6.5 creedmore that I keep hearing about. is this the new 6.5-284 on performance, or is it a equal to the 6x47 or 6.5x55 swede. I think that I have ruled out the 6.5-284 as one of my original options. I have began to se the lite on both the6.5-06, and now the .260 . That is where the ? is on the 6.5 creedmore. Don't mean to add confusion, but only to rule out or consider in options or inherentcies. That is one of the things that makes this website so unique. There seems to be an incredible talent and knowledge base here. This ia and always has been my PASSION, and its great to be in good company!STW
    Unread 02-17-2010, 06:02 PM
    Silver Member

Seeing as nobody has touched the 6.5 rem mag issue I suppose I'll touch on that for a minute. The 350 rem mag is a ballistic twin of the 35 Whelen but can work well in a slightly shorter barrel. I imagine (having never shot one but compared them in manuals) that the 6.5-06 and 6.5 rem mag are fairly close as well. Quality of brass and some peoples aversion to belted cases has probably hampered the popularity of the 6.5 rem mag. That and the model 600 was the wrong platform for such a cartridge to be utilized to its full potential. For a hunting rifle I don't think you could go wrong with the 6.5 rem mag, 6.5-06, or 6.5-284. Any animal hit well with a quality bullet wont care what case propelled the projectile. Good luck and have fun.

Unread 02-17-2010, 06:33 PM
    Platinum Member

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Skimbleshanks View Post
    Seeing as nobody has touched the 6.5 rem mag issue I suppose I'll touch on that for a minute. The 350 rem mag is a ballistic twin of the 35 Whelen but can work well in a slightly shorter barrel. I imagine (having never shot one but compared them in manuals) that the 6.5-06 and 6.5 rem mag are fairly close as well. Quality of brass and some peoples aversion to belted cases has probably hampered the popularity of the 6.5 rem mag. That and the model 600 was the wrong platform for such a cartridge to be utilized to its full potential. For a hunting rifle I don't think you could go wrong with the 6.5 rem mag, 6.5-06, or 6.5-284. Any animal hit well with a quality bullet wont care what case propelled the projectile. Good luck and have fun.

Thanks for the reply. I was wondering myself why no one touched on that round. I remember when I was younger, that round was avail, and then it died. Like you said, it was the gun, not the bullet. Balliscally it does appear +or - the two mentioned rounds. I was just tring to utilize the short mag action that I have, that was the only mention. Any thoughts on the 6.5wsm or (6.5wssm) ? I've heard mixed reviews. thanks
    Unread 02-17-2010, 08:21 PM
    Silver Member

Sorry but I can't help you there as I have never been intrigued by any of the WSM's WSSM's or SAUM's. I figured there are many other proven cartridges out there that one can find ammo for in a pinch. Experimentation and advancing the science is cool but I'll let others be the test subjects, I just don't have the cash for it.
    Unread 02-18-2010, 12:40 AM
    Gold Member

The 6.5x284 seems to be the sweetheart of the long range competition crowd. This means you can get some great load data using modern powders, and some awesome brass for it. Not to mention those high BC bullets.

The 30-06 case was designed for the old powders and there are better choices these days.

The 6.5 WSM will be more of a barrel burner than the 6.5x284

Part if not most of the barrel burning reputation of the 6.5x284 seems due to rapid fire shooting strings for competition. If you choose to shoot your new rifle in a more normal manner, your barrel will last a lot longer. Also you will have more power to drop your big game.

I would choose the 6.5x284 for the above reasons. Put it in the long action so the bullets can be loaded out to the lands and enjoy.

JM .02
    Unread 02-18-2010, 01:02 AM

For your question about the Creedmore.... from everything that I have read the the 260 Rem, 6.5x47 and the 6.5 Creedmore are all pretty darn close in terms of performance. Pick your poison.

Just to throw a little bit more confusion into it.... Spend a couple bucks, buy a Savage action and one barrel of each, and a barrel nut wrench and you can try them all.
    Unread 02-18-2010, 03:58 AM
    Bronze Member

7stw,
    I just joined to comment on 6.5-06.My smith is just finishing my 6.5-06 I had him build.Built on a vz24,timney trigger h.s precission stock,and hart 1:9,ordered a 1:8 specificly for 140 vld's but showed up a 1:9 should have sent it back but wanted cool weather for working up load I should have first rounds through it early next week will let you know how combo works.