Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

5r rifled barrels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2010, 06:39 AM
Bronze Member

5r rifled barrels

I have been looking at barrels and was wondering what is the difference in performance and barrel life between 5r rifling and traditional rifling. Does 5r rifling live up to the hype?

"The .30-06 is never a mistake" - Colonel Townsend Whelen
Old 07-07-2010, 08:06 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 5r rifled barrels

The ones I have been around are among the best shooters I have seen. I have one on order with Broughton right now.

Jeff
Old 07-07-2010, 08:16 AM
SPONSOR

I recently built a rifle for a customer using a Broughton barrel w/ canted rifling on a Defiance 'Rebel"' short action. The Broughton barrel machined beautifully, a testimony to the quality of the S.S. they use to make those barrels. My customer e-mailed me a photo of a group late last week, an easy 1/2" even though it didn't have 100 rounds thru it yet. He had a match to shoot this past weekend over at Raton, I haven't talked to him yet so don't how he did. He had been shooting a 'trued' Rem. 700 SA w/ Shilen Select Match bbl. that I had built (both rifles chambered in .260 Rem.). The Shilen has a bit of wear in it and will still shoot 1/2 to 3/4". I have the rifle w/ the Shilen in the shop for threading the muzzle. I'm sure I'll get a report on the match, and velocity differences between the two rifles when he comes to pick-up the Rem. He keeps a very accurate round count thru these rifles. As the barrel wears I know I'll get some detailed reports from him. I think the quality of the steel used has alot to do with the accuracy. If it machined nicely when I threaded, chambered, and crowned it, it machined very well for the rifling process. Steel quality makes a difference, IMHO. Not really the info you asked for, canted rifling hasn't been a "gotta' have" in this part of the world so there's not alot of first hand info. Only the claims made.
Old 07-07-2010, 08:45 PM
Platinum Member

I found this statement on the Krieger website.

The Obermeyer
5-Rô style rifling is simply a different style of rifling that has a 'ramped' or angled transition from the groove to the land and back down from the land to the next groove. Our conventional 4 groove rifling has a nearly straight side to the land. The internet is full of information describing perceived benifits to the 5-Rô rifling over conventional styles, but most of this is comparing "apples to oranges" as they are usually comparing one manufacturers "non 5-Rô" to a different manufacturers "5-Rô" barrels. We have honestly seen no significant diferences between the two styles of rifling when comparing our barrels. We may have better information after this shooting season is over, and once we start getting feedback from competitive shooters trying it though.

We do not expect any accuracy, barrel life, velocity, or other performance differences from our 5-Rô rifling than we do from our conventional 4 groove barrels.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:34 PM
Platinum Member

Chas, thats interesting. Especially since the New 5C Broughton I have on order is going to replace the new (75 round) Kreiger 4 land I am taking off. What a waste of good bullets.. I can't say for sure my problem was the barrel design. It could have been any number of things that caused the unacceptable accuracy, or lack of. But I do know I have bought my last barrel with 4 lands. That said, I fully believe any manufacturer can make a bad barrel. And I also believe if you get one that does not shoot, get a new barrel. I have beatin my last dead horse.

Jeff
Old 07-07-2010, 09:48 PM
Platinum Member

Broz, I have no opinion for or against as I've never owned either. I threw up Kriegers statement so 94 Winchester could get the view of one of the 5r barrel manufacturers perspective for what it's worth.
Old 07-07-2010, 09:59 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas1 View Post
Broz, I have no opinion for or against as I've never owned either. I threw up Kriegers statement so 94 Winchester could get the view of one of the 5r barrel manufacturers perspective for what it's worth.
I know Chas, and it is good info. I found it interesting because when I was having trouble, I made a call to Kreiger. The reason for the call was my concern of the 4 land barrel and how it was shooting. I was told they only make 4 land barrels and really did not get a lot of help offered. But since then, in the last few months, Kreiger has now started offering 5R barrels. Hmmm. I dont know, I have worn my brain out trying to figre what went wrong. But I do know if my new Broughton 5C shoots even close to my sons Broughton 5C, I will be a happy camper.

Jeff