Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

.50bmg AMAX Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2009, 05:56 PM

Re: .50bmg AMAX Question

My blinking is happening after the trigger break, essentialy during the blast sequence. SO far i cant get it to group under 3" at 365yards... Tho i wounder if that is good or not.

Last edited by Mordis; 03-28-2009 at 06:02 PM.
Old 03-28-2009, 06:04 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

If your getting 1/3 moa at that range you are doing better then the Barretts will generally do. THat is very good for a Barrett rifle with factory barrel. I would say your trying to improve on something that is way better then average performance to begin with.

Do not get caught up in "The grass is always greener" theory. About the best I have seen with the Barrett for consistant accuracy at long range is around 3/4 moa. That is not saying you will not get tighter groups from this from time to time, this is an average group size I am referring to.

I would say your there, get out and shoot at longer ranges. Again, if your blinking after the trigger breaks, do not worry about it. Follow through properly and you will never have a problem. I have said it before and will again, I would bet there are very few if any out there that can trip the trigger on any 50 cal and not blink after the trigger breaks.

Good loading and shooting, your getting accuracy out of the Barrett that is not typical for that rifle.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 03-28-2009, 07:47 PM

Fiftydriver, that 1" was a typo, i didnt catch it till i hit post, so i went back and edited it. Im getting consistant 3" groups at 365 yards each time. Tho i have seen them go as low as sub 2" on occasion. My appologies at the typo.

Fifty you seem to be a very helpful person, and a custom smith to boot. Do you mind if i PM you some questions i have regarding caliber selection??
Old 03-28-2009, 10:08 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

You are still better then 1 moa which for a factory rifle is pretty damn good. Yes, with certain loading techniques you could likely get consistant 3/4 moa or perhaps even play with that 1/2 moa level but in all likelihood, your about there.

I would bet you would have to start sorting by weight your cases, primers and bullets, measuring baring surface and sorting by that as well. Turning your case necks and really tightening up your neck and bullet run outs to see a measurable improvement in what your getting right now.

I used to do all that stuff but have since stopped simply because you had roughly 20 minutes into each case before you even threw a powder charge and it just got old to me. Now if your match shooting, needs to be done. If your happy with hitting what your shooting at in the vitals, I would say its up to you but likely not going to make a huge difference in group size with a factory barrel, chamber and throat.

Also remember that you should test your loads at longer ranges, at least 800 yards and preferrably 1000 yards or more. A conventional long range rifle using vld type bullets will "go to sleep" around 100-125 yards. This means the bullet will shed the effects that the rifling in the bore impose on the bullet and the bullet will spin true around its own center of gravity.

This also happens with the 50 BMG but because of the great weight and length of the bullets, it generally happens around 200-250 yards. What this means is that often times you will see groups at 100 and 200 yards look very similiar but groups at 300 and 800 yards will also very close in size. Often times, the longer range groups will be smaller in moa measurement, many times dramatically smaller.

Stretch her out and you will learn much more about the quality of your load.

As far as PMing me, no problem but I would prefer you e-mail me as you will get a quicker response that way. I reply to PMs when I get caught up with e-mails and they always take a back seat to the e-mails so shoot me an e-mail at the address in my signature below and I will offer any experience I may have that can help.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com