Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

500 Jeffery based wildcats

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2013, 05:36 PM
Silver Member

Re: 500 Jeffery based wildcats

Hammer of Thor with 30" Benchmark barrel
pic taken with iphone 5 on July 14th, 2013 at the south end of Kenai Lake near the mouth of the Snow River
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
500 Jeffery based wildcats-image.jpg  

"In guns, particularly firearms, caliber or calibre is the approximate internal diameter of the barrel, or the diameter of the projectile it fires."
WIKIPEDIA

"Fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"
Sigmund Freud
Old 10-16-2013, 06:11 PM
Platinum Member

Sweet!

Maybe I missed it, but what chassis is that?

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 10-16-2013, 06:28 PM
Platinum Member

Looks like a Whiskey3 chassis to me....But I could be wrong. They all look pretty similar these days.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 10-16-2013, 06:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamplord View Post
Hammer of Thor with 30" Benchmark barrel
pic taken with iphone 5 on July 14th, 2013 at the south end of Kenai Lake near the mouth of the Snow River
That's just sweet! So, what action is that? Is that a Rem 700 RUM action (wider feed rails)? Has it been modified to accept the .500 Jeffery casings at all? I know the RUM calibers are based off the .404 Jeffery, which is why I ask.

That .375 Mjolnir is nasty...Maybe someday I can talk you into letting me borrow that reamer.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Old 10-16-2013, 06:51 PM
Silver Member

It is the KRG Whiskey 3 chassis in the fixed butt version, they also make a folder for a bit more $
this rifle also has the 338 Wolverine in a 30" Bartlein 5R 9.3 twist fluted Rem Varmint contour and again the extra inch has a muzzle brake machined into it.... also have a new 34" Benchmark blank in 9.5 twist Sendero contour getting fluted and will be installed soon with the Benchmark Muscle Brake, this switchbarrel project also will have my 300 Wolf and 416 Grizzly added, reamers are in production and will be using Benchmark barrels, very impressed with their barrels and turnaround time was less than a month..

the action is a Sako TRGS m995 that was originally a 7.82 Warbird, a perfect candidate for the 500 Jeffery based wildcats, the Rem 700 action IS NOT suitable for these wildcats....

"In guns, particularly firearms, caliber or calibre is the approximate internal diameter of the barrel, or the diameter of the projectile it fires."
WIKIPEDIA

"Fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"
Sigmund Freud
Old 10-16-2013, 07:00 PM
Platinum Member

Ok, thanks for the heads up....I'll have to find a Sako TRGs m995 somewhere.

Who is doing the fluting? Your smith?

Quote:
Old 10-16-2013, 07:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamplord View Post
It is the KRG Whiskey 3 chassis in the fixed butt version, they also make a folder for a bit more $
this rifle also has the 338 Wolverine in a 30" Bartlein 5R 9.3 twist fluted Rem Varmint contour and again the extra inch has a muzzle brake machined into it.... also have a new 34" Benchmark blank in 9.5 twist Sendero contour getting fluted and will be installed soon with the Benchmark Muscle Brake, this switchbarrel project also will have my 300 Wolf and 416 Grizzly added, reamers are in production and will be using Benchmark barrels, very impressed with their barrels and turnaround time was less than a month..

the action is a Sako TRGS m995 that was originally a 7.82 Warbird, a perfect candidate for the 500 Jeffery based wildcats, the Rem 700 action IS NOT suitable for these wildcats....
How is your switch barrel configured? Do you need an action wrench?

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams