Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

500 Jeffery based wildcats

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 09:46 PM
Silver Member

Re: 500 Jeffery based wildcats

a comparison pic of my 6.5 Prometheus next to 270 WIN and 6.5 WSM

the case is the 300 Norma Magnum with a 6.5mm 140 gr Berger VLD , has not been fireformed yet which will give it a longer neck and shoulder pushed up to 35 degrees similar to the 6.5 WSM on the right in the pic.
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
500 Jeffery based wildcats-270-win-6.5-pro-6.5-wsm.jpg  

"In guns, particularly firearms, caliber or calibre is the approximate internal diameter of the barrel, or the diameter of the projectile it fires."
WIKIPEDIA

"Fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"
Sigmund Freud
Old 02-13-2013, 09:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamplord View Post
a comparison pic of my 6.5 Prometheus next to 270 WIN and 6.5 WSM

the case is the 300 Norma Magnum with a 6.5mm 140 gr Berger VLD , has not been fireformed yet which will give it a longer neck and shoulder pushed up to 35 degrees similar to the 6.5 WSM on the right in the pic.
Wow! whats the neck thickness of that prometheus? You can see just how thick it is by looking at the outside edge of the bullet and outside edge of the neck.

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 02-13-2013, 10:02 PM
Platinum Member

Holy crap I just noticed that! I bet he can get 100 reloads per brass! Hahaha!

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:10 PM
Silver Member

I guess I forgot to mention that the neck of the 300 Norma Mag case has not been sized down yet to 6.5MM, it's just a bullet inserted in the case to compare to other cartridges

"In guns, particularly firearms, caliber or calibre is the approximate internal diameter of the barrel, or the diameter of the projectile it fires."
WIKIPEDIA

Sigmund Freud
Old 02-13-2013, 10:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamplord View Post
I guess I forgot to mention that the neck of the 300 Norma Mag case has not been sized down yet to 6.5MM, it's just a bullet inserted in the case to compare to other cartridges
Oh ok, haha that makes sense, i was trying to figure out how you would have any spring back in the neck to let the bullet release. On your 338, i am assuming that you are not going to neck turn? If not you would have approx .022" neck thickness?

I'm 15
"Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples' liberty's teeth."
~George Washington

"The only advantage a light rifle has is weight, all other advantages go to the heavy rifle."
~ JE Custom

Biggest fail of 2014 so far... http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...ea-ftf-128972/
Old 02-13-2013, 10:41 PM
Platinum Member

Swamplord, do you have dimension specs for the 300 Norma Mag? I'm looking at it for a possible project.

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 02-14-2013, 04:26 AM
Silver Member

I have the dimensions for my 7.62 PRO that you can go off in the attached pics...

I have the "PRO" (Precision Rifled Ordnance ) series of wildcats I have been working on for my Sako M995 switchbarrel rifle and have 2 wildcats based on the 300 Norma Mag case
6.5 Prometheus
7.62 PRO

based on the 338 Norma Mag case I have the
338 PRO
375 PRO
416 PRO
458 PRO
There will be 7 barrels total for the project based on a Sako M995 and a KRG Whiskey 3 chassis, topped off with a Vortex PST 4-16X50 EBRMOA scope
the 1st barrel is already on the finished rifle and is chambered in 338 Norma Magnum
I also still have the original bbl the rifle came with chambered in 7.82 Warbird and can use it if need be, making 8 total barrels in one rifle system !

The design of the cartridges and chambers was specifically intended to be run in rifles equipped with AICS cip length detachable magazines . the throat/leade is set so the bullets do not protrude below the neck to enhance powder capacity, at the same time the neck was made longer and shoulder pushed up to 35 degrees but top of body was not increased in diameter but kept at .570", which I found feeds and cycles from the mags much better than a blown out AI 40 degree version which occasionally tends to bind up and jam in the mag due to the steeper shoulder and slightly larger top of body diameter without providing a usable increase in powder capacity !

You will notice the neck lengths are longer in the 6.5 and 7.62, the longer necks are for the cartridges that are more susceptible to faster throat erosion

the 338, 375 and 416 share the same .342" neck length and the 458 has a .375" long neck to hold the long heavy bullets, which is important in a hard recoiling dangerous game rifle.

If the Rem 700 will not work out for my 500 Jeffery based wildcats, they will be built on a similar platform off the Sako M995 currently in 30-378 WBY, I will just have to modify the ridges in the mags to accept the wider case body, the cartridge oal will remain the same for all reg. hunting bullets up to 300 grs. and 330 gr- 350 gr. long high bc bullets will be run single shot for long range shooting.

I designed and own all the reamers and they are proprietary, made for me by PT&G
Dave Kiff is a fantastic and very knowledgable gentleman who has assisted me in the dimensions and developement of my reamers, without his help none of these wildcats would be here today ! Neil Jones is making me the dies, with all the crazyness going on he is super busy and ETA is not known at the moment...

Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
500 Jeffery based wildcats-7.62-pro-precision-rifled-ordnance-.jpg   500 Jeffery based wildcats-.338-pro-precision-rifled-ordnance-.jpg  

500 Jeffery based wildcats-.375-pro-precision-rifled-ordnance-.jpg   500 Jeffery based wildcats-.416-pro-precision-rifled-ordnance-.jpg  

500 Jeffery based wildcats-.458-pro-precision-rifled-ordnance-.jpg  

WIKIPEDIA

Sigmund Freud