Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

500 Jeffery based wildcats

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2013, 12:52 AM
Silver Member

500 Jeffery based wildcats

For those of you that asked for info on my wildcats based on the big Jeff case, here ya go...

I developed the dimensions for the .375-500 Jeffery in 2004 but it went nowhere, the gunsmith I was working with at the time refused to build me a rifle based on my design, I had a tendency to like faster cartridges and he was one of those old bastards that believed the .375 H&H is all you need... and I simply refused to have a .375 H&H ( as a teen I was almost shot in the back of the head by my hunting partner with one) I hated the damn thing ever since .

anyway... with the popularity of "The Pigman" on tv and his developement of the ".338 Twisted Pig" cartidge with Twisted Barrels, my interest in my design was renewed, 500 Jeffery brass is made by Jamison, Norma and Bertram.. yes, it's very expensive and hard to find in stock at this time, but it is available !!!

I have contacted Dave Kiff at PT&G to make me the reamer, after altering some of my dimensions to maximize case capacity and create a .338 cal. version also, the reamers have been ordered !!

Thus... the ".375 MJOLNIR" The Hammer Of Thor is finally going to be built..!!!
(pronounced Myolner and is the Hammer of the Norse God of Thunder "Thor")

it has a .357" long neck, 35 degree shoulder and case water capacity is 147.6 gr. ( according to Quick Design) approx. 24 gr. more than the .378 WBY, and 38 gr. more than the .375 RUM.... and a whopping 58 gr. more than the .375 H&H....

this will be built on a cm Rem700LA with Seekins 3.9" detach. mags as a repeater for regular hunting bullets, for long range it will run the 350 gr SMK's and 330 gr. and heavier Cutting Edge bullets as a single shot...

the .338 is similar in design ....350" long neck, 35 degree shoulder and case water capacity is 145.1 gr....

Velocity is just Quick Load estimates at this time, the cartridge should place somewhere in between the .378 WBY and the .375 Snipe Tac...

and that is just a guess at this time,

the Pigman claims 120 grs. of powder gives 3400 fps with a 250 gr Hornady in his
.338 Twisted Pig and with room for improvement, I can see 3500-3550 easy with coated bullets !
Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
500 Jeffery based wildcats-.375-mjolnir-hammer-thor.jpg  

"In guns, particularly firearms, caliber or calibre is the approximate internal diameter of the barrel, or the diameter of the projectile it fires."
WIKIPEDIA

"Fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"
Sigmund Freud
Old 02-10-2013, 02:26 AM
Bronze Member

Re: 500 Jeffery based wildcats

I wouldn't want to be on either end of this rifle...WOW!!!!
Old 02-10-2013, 06:50 PM
Bronze Member

Awesome. Yessir this should be a hammer for sure. Im really anxious to see the .338 version as it should just fall just below the .338 Allen Mag. Please keep posted. Both should make nice 1250+ yard Elk rifles. Ive always been interested in a .500 Jeff-based wildcat. Not much smaller than the Gibbs but can be run at higher pressure. Not sure on credibility, but Ive read that because it is a higher pressure cartridge it always outran the .505 in factory and handloads...

Any idea when the first rifle will be done?
Old 02-10-2013, 09:05 PM
Silver Member

Recoil can be tamed with outstanding brakes like the Muscle Brake or the Painkiller......

Rifle is being built as we speak, waiting on the reamer and case forming dies to be made.....

the .338 cal. version will be added at the same time as a second barrel for the rifle, here are some specs on the cartridge............

.350" long neck, 35 degree shoulder and case water cap. is 145.1 gr. (Quick Design estimate)
attached pic has more case dimension #'s

approx. 18 gr. more than the .338 Excalibur
23 gr. more than the .338-378 WBY
27 gr. more than the 8.59 Lazzeroni Titan
33 gr. more than the .338 Lapua Mag
37 gr. more than the .338 Edge
40 gr. more than the .338 Norma Mag and .338 RUM
62 gr. more then the .338 Winchester Mag
(these are ammoguide water capacity estimates)

all these estimates may vary + or - a grain or two, just a ball park comparison to give you an idea of case capacity.......

If a 338 Win Mag is a hard recoiling cartridge for some shooters... this is not the cartridge for them , as this one has almost twice the capacity !

Haven't named it yet so it's still the .338-500 Jeffery at this point . reamer has been order per these dimensions...

Attached Thumbnails - Click to View Larger
500 Jeffery based wildcats-.338-500-jeffery.jpg  

"In guns, particularly firearms, caliber or calibre is the approximate internal diameter of the barrel, or the diameter of the projectile it fires."
WIKIPEDIA

"Fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity"
Sigmund Freud

Last edited by Swamplord; 02-10-2013 at 11:34 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:34 AM
Platinum Member

Sweet! Both of those look real interesting! Might have to do one or both some day.

Is a 700 action going to be OK for the 500 Jeff?

You will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you make good use of it.
~ John Quincy Adams
Old 02-11-2013, 10:05 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank in the Laurels View Post
I wouldn't want to be on either end of this rifle...WOW!!!!
I agree! Awesome wildcat and awesome name. Good luck, thanks for sharing, and please keep us posted.

Ed

I voted for my "FREEDOM", "GUNS", and "MONEY" - keep the change - UNK.

"I am always proud of my country!"

"Leadership Rule #2: Don't be an @zzhole." - Maj Gen Burton Field.
Old 02-11-2013, 08:14 PM
Silver Member

Some question a Lapua on a 700 action. This is fatter yet. Is that enough steel?