Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

50 BMG project

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2014, 09:51 PM
Bronze Member

50 BMG project

I've got pretty much all the parts needed to build my 50 bmg. I have designed it very similar to a Noreen ULR rifle except I added a hand guard instead of the 7/8" rod. I want to be able to set it on sand bags or some sort other rest, not just a bi-pod.

The barrel I purchased is a 33" mil-spec chambered Mossberg. Does anyone else have a 50 built with one of these barrels? If so how does it shoot? I might end up of taking a half inch or so off the chamber end and renting the match reamer from 4-d. My goal is 1 MOA at a mile, but I'm not 100% sure that's possible. I am confident in my machining abilities (as I've built multiple sub 1/2 minute rifles), but I'm not sure about the barrel. Either way, with all of the steel, aluminum, and the barrel I only have about $300 invested in this project so far.

I am using a Timney Mauser trigger and Limbsaver recoil pad.

Once its done, I have a Millett 6-25X56 to put on it, and I am going to make a 60 MOA base for it, so I'll have about 130 minutes of elevation adjustment. with Amax's I should be able to reach 2500 yards with out much trouble. It will also get a coat of duracoat and possibly hydrodipped.

I figured for about $500 plus my time I couldn't go wrong and I can always upgrade the barrel later on.

Thanks for reading, Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome and appreciated.
Take care
Old 01-26-2014, 11:49 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 50 BMG project

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch260 View Post
I've got pretty much all the parts needed to build my 50 bmg. I have designed it very similar to a Noreen ULR rifle except I added a hand guard instead of the 7/8" rod. I want to be able to set it on sand bags or some sort other rest, not just a bi-pod.

The barrel I purchased is a 33" mil-spec chambered Mossberg. Does anyone else have a 50 built with one of these barrels? If so how does it shoot? I might end up of taking a half inch or so off the chamber end and renting the match reamer from 4-d. My goal is 1 MOA at a mile, but I'm not 100% sure that's possible. I am confident in my machining abilities (as I've built multiple sub 1/2 minute rifles), but I'm not sure about the barrel. Either way, with all of the steel, aluminum, and the barrel I only have about $300 invested in this project so far.

I am using a Timney Mauser trigger and Limbsaver recoil pad.

Once its done, I have a Millett 6-25X56 to put on it, and I am going to make a 60 MOA base for it, so I'll have about 130 minutes of elevation adjustment. with Amax's I should be able to reach 2500 yards with out much trouble. It will also get a coat of duracoat and possibly hydrodipped.

I figured for about $500 plus my time I couldn't go wrong and I can always upgrade the barrel later on.

Thanks for reading, Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome and appreciated.
Take care

Sounds like a project worth doing.

How much will it weigh, and what kind of action will you use ?

Lilja makes fine 50 Cal barrels If you do decide to change barrels.

J E CUSTOM
Old 01-27-2014, 09:06 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J E Custom View Post
Sounds like a project worth doing.

How much will it weigh, and what kind of action will you use ?

Lilja makes fine 50 Cal barrels If you do decide to change barrels.

J E CUSTOM
I am building my own action, very similar to the Noreen. If this barrel doesn't work out very well I am definitely considering Lilja. They seem to have a good reputation in the 50 cal game. As far a weight goes, it will be heavy. I am going to leave this barrel the full 1.65" in diameter, it weighs 18 pounds alone. My guess is that it will be close to 40 pounds or more. If I get a better barrel I will have it contoured to drop some weight.

Thanks for the reply.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I am building my own action, very similar to the Noreen. If this barrel doesn't work out very well I am definitely considering Lilja. They seem to have a good reputation in the 50 cal game. As far a weight goes, it will be heavy. I am going to leave this barrel the full 1.65" in diameter, it weighs 18 pounds alone. My guess is that it will be close to 40 pounds or more. If I get a better barrel I will have it contoured to drop some weight.

Thanks for the reply.
Are you going to have to serialize and register the action? Or do you live in one of those states that if you mfg all the parts yourself in your state that it doesn't have to be registered?

I think that's part of the FFA - Firearms Freedom Act.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:32 PM
Bronze Member

I serialize my actions.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I serialize my actions.
Cool! Let me know how it goes. For that kind of money I woulnd't mind having a .408 Cheytach.

Let me know how everything goes.

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:05 PM
Bronze Member

I considered doing a .408, but the Mossberg barrel only cost $180 plus shipping. And I can get surplus FMJ bullets for $0.50 a piece when I don't want to pay $2.50 each for the Amax's. I still want a .408 eventually though, but it would be light weight for hunting.