Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

50 bmg advise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2010, 08:42 PM
Platinum Member

50 bmg advise

My dad and I are kicking around buying a BMG of bolt action type. Not looking for a custom just a decent factory model. Anything particular I should know or be lookin for?
Old 05-13-2010, 09:07 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 50 bmg advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmason View Post
Anything particular I should know or be lookin for?
I'd say you should be lookin for a really effective muzzle brake, and a good set of hearing protective muffs. Maybe some gel ice packs to ease the whiplash induced neck pain.

You got places back east where you can shoot from mountain side to mountain side?

Last edited by phorwath; 05-13-2010 at 11:03 PM.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:29 PM
Gold Member

Re: 50 bmg advise

If you have an ar 15, or even if you dont, the bohica arms far-50 was one i was looking at. it is "only" $1400 for the upper reciever (30in bbl) and bipod.

I wonder what a woodchuck would look like if you shot it with a 750gr A-max... heck you'd probably do more damage shooting just infront of and having the shrapnel kick up... holy %$^@ that would be such overkill
Old 05-13-2010, 10:42 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

For the money, get an Armalite AR-50 or an Bluegrass Viper.

The Armalite is a full length bolt action style that is extremely comfortable to shoot. It has the very best muzzle brake you will find on a 50 BMG. Accuracy is generally pretty damn good. IF you hand load, I have yet to see one not shoot under 1 moa and often much better then that.

Plus, down the road, they are very easy to rebarrel with a match barrel to take it to the next level as they are no different to rebarrel then any other bolt action rifle.

The Vipers are a bull pup design. They are not nearly as easy to convert and they are not as good at reducing felt recoil but they are a much more compact rifle platform. They are not easily rebarreled either but they generally shoot very well and their cost is very attractive.

I have owned and shot many different 50s including the LAR Grizzly, Viper, AR-50 and Barrett 99. Of them, I prefer the AR-50 for a precision rifle. They accept Rem 700 triggers which is a huge advantage over all the others listed. They are big, they are heavy, they are long and they are a dream to shoot for a 50 BMG. They are also extremely impressive in appearance and in muzzle blast but very mild in recoil.

I would vote for the AR.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 05-13-2010, 11:43 PM
Silver Member

i have an AR-50 it's a real gun made by a real gun maker. strong, accurate and it will resale alot better also
Old 05-13-2010, 11:56 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmason View Post
My dad and I are kicking around buying a BMG of bolt action type. Not looking for a custom just a decent factory model. Anything particular I should know or be lookin for?
I am partial to the Barret M82 A1 for fun. after all what could be more fun than a bolt action
50BMG,"A semi auto 50 BMG with a 10 round mag".

Rock and roll

J E CUSTOM
Old 05-14-2010, 06:45 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 50 bmg advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by phorwath View Post

You got places back east where you can shoot from mountain side to mountain side?

ya there's still a few places. I think it's more of a "just to have" for me and Dad. I don't think it'll see any serious use. I will hand load for it but it's still like $2 a bullet for the A-maxs not counting primers, powder and brass.

Kirby- do you have an opinion of the "watson" line of 50s? They do look a liitle light but I think he puts pacnor barrels on them.