Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

50 bmg

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2009, 10:27 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Re: 50 bmg

I have not used the LEE tooling in the 50 BMG but have with other chamberings. From that experience, there are some things that would make me think the LEE tooling would work but may not last as long as the Hornady or RCBS.

Between the RCBS and Hornady, the presses are pretty much the same, very similiar at least. I would say the Hornady seating die is a better choice then the RCBS as far as getting good bullet run outs.

Starting load, generally 210 grains of H-50BMG under the 750 gr A-Max seated 30 thou off the lands is a good place to start. Most load data for H-50BMG will say 233.0 gr is a max load, in my experience, this may be fine in a very loose chamber and throat of the M2 but in a single shot bolt gun, this is far to heavy of a load.

I have topped out at 220 to 225 grains in every rifle I have loaded for with this bullet.

TO check for proper pressure in the 50 BMG, there is a simple test you can do, shoot a round, eject the fired case. Take that same case and rechamber it, there should be no real difference in force needed to close the bolt on the fired case. If there is an increase in pressure, drop down a grain or two. If there is no increase in bolt closure pressure, you can increase the load by 2 grains and repeat the test, repeat until you feel the resistance when you rechamber the fired case.

The 50 BMG should be loaded to roughly 50,000 psi and no more. Cartridge brass will permanently deform at 50-55,000 psi in most 50 BMG brass. The big 50 is really far to large for what we want to do but when it was designed it was nessesary to be that large.

Many BR shooters will load to the 2500-2600 fps range for best accuracy. Not only are they more comfortable to shoot then the 2700 fps loads but these loads also produce milder vibration patterns then the upper end loads.

Your opinion of the military surplus ammos accuracy potential is right on the money but that is by design. WHen your shooting an M2 browning, you do not want precision, you want all those big projectiles to land in a relatively tight pattern but you want them to cover a decent amount of area at 1000 yards, like the better part of a truck!!! If several hits all over a vehicle, that will do far more damage then several shots in a several inch group on a vehicle.

We are using the 50 BMG for a much different use then it was designed for, precision shooting. It serves well in this role but you must realize it has to be loaded differently then surplus ammo to reach this level of accuracy.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 02-17-2009, 11:55 PM
Silver Member

Kirby,

Thanks alot for the reply on the press and the loading method. That will come in very useful as I have been looking to start reloading for this rifle in the near future now that the smaller calibers are starting to show good results.

What is the best accuracy you have seen out a factory barrel with good handload? Just trying to figure out what I should expect so I know when I can say I have a good load for this rifle.

I had heard the samething about the accuracy of the round when fired out of the M2HB. Accuracy to a point but a good tight shotgun group is better in that application.

Thanks again
Sherman
Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American people's liberty teeth and keystone under independence. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference. - George Washington

Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.' -Unknown
Old 02-19-2009, 08:12 AM
Bronze Member

thanks for all the replies. i was also wondering about bullets. what bullets is everyone using? i was looking at the barnes tsx(647grs), bore riders(750&800grs), amaxs(750gr) and then the winchester fmg(650gr ithink) for plinking. anybody have any experiances with these? has anyone ever used there 50 for hunting? thanks in advance

hs
Old 02-19-2009, 09:48 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

The Barnes 647 is a good moderate range hunting bullet. Decent accuracy most of the time, good velocity and generally pretty good terminally.

The 750 gr A-Max is the standard for match or hunting with a standard throat design in the BMG. Legal to use in most states for big game hunting because it is an expanding bullet.

The Barnes Bore riders should be used in a chamber with a bore rider throat. They can be fired in a conventional throat but consistancy and accuracy will generally suffer.

I have a big shippment of the new Win 650 gr here at the shop I will be testing. I have heard they are capable of sub 1 moa accuracy. If that is true, they will be the most accurate ball type bullet I have used. Will keep you posted.

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 02-19-2009, 07:09 PM
Silver Member

Anyone have any comments on the ultralite or other uppers for AR-15 lowers?