Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

View Poll Results: 460 thoughts
like 22 53.66%
dislike 19 46.34%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

460 S+W Magnum, good first Pistol?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-18-2005, 01:34 PM
Silver Member

Re: 460 S+W Magnum, good first Pistol?

[ QUOTE ]
I personally do not like how the handgun comes straight back into the web of your hand. I would much rather have the handgun recoil straight in the air. This wastes alot of recoil energy when the handgun recoils up.

With the brake, you get no muzzle jump but you get all the recoil straight back in your hand, not fun in my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen. I bought the 10.5" PC .500 S&W, thinking that the extra length would help recoil. But now I realize that the integrated (and non-removable) brake puts every foot-pound into the web of my hand.
Old 02-18-2005, 01:39 PM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with the recoil, they do tell me it is more of a push, but it does not jump as much as the 454 and 480.

[/ QUOTE ]

They's wrong. The .480's not very sharp at all. Can't say about the .454, I haven't tried one. But to characterize the full-house .500's recoil as a "push" only works if you're being pushed by a swinging baseball bat. Ultimately manageable, but thank God for shooting gloves.
Old 02-18-2005, 02:47 PM
Silver Member

I cannot say that I would know, I just know what the others tell me. I told them that if that were the case, I would not want to shoot the 454 and 480. But to be honest, It does not really hurt the web of my hands. I guess all those cold days playing baseball without batting gloves helps. One thing that I found helpful is letting the gun do what it is going to do, to a certain extent. Do not try to stop the recoil, flow with it. For me, that helps. I agree if you try to beast the recoil and not allow the energy to be dispersed, then it will kill your hands. Your talking as much energy as a magnum rifle in the palms of your hands.
Old 02-18-2005, 05:34 PM

If he likes the 460 I think he should get it. I personally think that you are comparing exciting rounds that are all great in their own right, but it's all kind of like comparing 308 to 300 win mag to 300 ultra mag to 7mm Shooting Times Westerner to ect. (left out the short mags, cause who needs um?). Every round is worth owning, that's what makes some of us true gun lovers. I dislike 7.62x39's but I don't care if someone else wants a Norinco SKS, and more power to them. And shame on anyone for selling a firearm and not getting what they want out of it. These are people who had to have a boomer and had never shot anything bigger than a 380. If you take any firearm to the gun shop (even an L.C. Smith or Parker),your gonna loose a little. Keep your scope, keep your brass and dies and call it a loss if you never own another gun in that caliber. You'd be surprised how you can get your money back if you are patient and sell it yourself.
Old 02-18-2005, 06:32 PM
Silver Member

[ QUOTE ]
Every round is worth owning, that's what makes some of us true gun lovers.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree wholeheartedly. The debate is "which one first?"
Old 02-18-2005, 06:33 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Midmoboy,

Fair enough but the question was asked, is the 460 S&W a good choice for a first revolver? The answer is flat out NO!

There is no logical or practical way of explaining how the 460 S&W in a 5 lb revolver is a good first revolver selection. The things are expansive to shoot, recoil heavy, blast is very intense, they weight to much for any real offhand shooting, which is the single best way to learn how to shoot and hunt with a revolver. They cost three times what a conventional big bore revolver will run and out to 125 yards, they offer nothing that can not be done with a 45 Colt or 480 Ruger.

Now if your going to say that the huge increase in energy that the 460 produces has to be a major advantage on game, anyone that has used a big bore revolver on game knows full well that none of then, NONE OF THEM, produce enough velocity or energy to be visually authoritative on big game. By this I mean flatten big game on impact.

Big bore revolvers kill by cutting decent diameter permanent wound channels completely through the animal. With an open sighted revolver it is just as difficult to hit the vitals at 50 yards weither your shooting a 480 Ruger RSH or a 460 S&W.

With a scoped revolver, again, it is just as easy to hit with a 45 Colt or 480 Ruger at 100 yards as it is with a scoped 460 S&W.

For game up to moose and elk, all three loaded with proper big game bullets, no little 200 gr pills, will cleanly harvest game the size of moose up to 100 yards away.

So my answer to the original question would be why not learn on a handgun that is more user friendly and allow the new handgun hunter to actually practice alot and hone his skills.

As for a revolver round for a first revolver, the 460 S&W would not even make the long list in my opinion.

This has nothing to do with the usefullness of the round or if I think it is a good all aroudn round. It has to do with the original question, again, "Would the 460 S&W make a good first revolver?"

NO!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 02-18-2005, 08:32 PM
Platinum Member

Mr. Allen I have been hunting with big bore revolvers for 35 plus years. and You stated the facts perfectly.Your advise is spot-on