Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

View Poll Results: 460 thoughts
like 22 53.66%
dislike 19 46.34%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

460 S+W Magnum, good first Pistol?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2005, 04:42 PM

Re: 460 S+W Magnum, good first Pistol?

It may not be an XP-100 but if you have all of your male body parts still attached you have to enjoy the thought of the new 460. I thought that the 454 and 500 were cool, but the 460 is the way that I would go. You will get your money back out of it if you decide you don't like it.
Old 02-17-2005, 04:44 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Christopher,

I have been playing around with an idea for years to build a rimmed 50 AE and chamber it in a Ruger 5 shot blackhawk or Bisley. I love the 50 AE. I have a 15" Encore barrel so chambered and using the new 440 gr Cast Performance WFNGC bullets designed for the 500 S&W, this little pill will comfortably get 1550 fps and will punch 2" groups at 100 yards with the Burris 1.5-4x in the saddles. The light Encore single shot does have a bit of recoil to it though. I have taken seveal whitetails with this combo and generally they just fall on the spot or within a few yards, even without impacting a major support bone. The 50 AE is an awsome big game round, jsut to bad its a rebated rim so we can not crimp the little sucker!!!

I developed loads for a customers 500 S&W here last summer, this guy wanted as much as he could get with the 440 gr bullet so I loaded the thing to the gills topping out around 1625 fps with H-LilGun before cases got a little sticky. They shot very well, open sighted off the bench I was getting around 2" groups at 50 yards. I tested about 100 rounds in one afternoon and that single range session ended my big bore revolver shooting for nearly 4 months because it bruised my palm pretty badly.

Anyway, the owner came in to pick up the revolver and I asked if he wanted to try these loads before he left and he did. He had only shot the Ultramax 330 gr loads which are roughly the level of a stiff loaded 44 mag, no recoil at all.

He touched off the first round and just sat there for a couple seconds. I was about to ask him if something was the matter when he cocked the hammer again for a second shot. After the hammer dropped on the second round he stood up and told me I could keep those loads, he was going back to the 330 gr loads so I charged him for componants and testing and I never say him again.

The 500 when loaded to top levels is more then most shooters can handle, there is no way in haties that teh 454 and 480 Ruger SRH recoil harder then a sully loaded 500, I think you would agree with that comment.

I personally do not like how the handgun comes straight back into the web of your hand. I would much rather have the handgun recoil straight in the air. This wastes alot of recoil energy when the handgun recoils up.

With the brake, you get no muzzle jump but you get all the recoil straight back in your hand, not fun in my opinion.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 02-17-2005, 04:48 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Midmoboy,

I have seen three used 500 S&W 8 3/8" X-Framed at the local sporting good store in just the last three months for sale. They were all prices at $675 compared to $900 which they sold for new. Now you know the store did not pay the customer bringing them back the full $675, probably more like $575 so don't plan on getting your money back if your not sure on one of these cannons.

And about having all your male body parts, pretty sure I do but I would still rather have my 480 Ruger for close range big bore hunting and my 338 WSM XP-100 for long range heavy game hunting.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 02-17-2005, 05:05 PM
Silver Member

Kirby,
I agree with the recoil, they do tell me it is more of a push, but it does not jump as much as the 454 and 480. But you have to admit, seeing someone who thinks that they can handle anything touch off 4 lightweight rounds and then one full loaded round is quite interesting to say the least. It seems to change their perspective on everything. Corbon is actually coming out with a 500 grain pill for it in the next few months.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:40 PM
Silver Member

Kirby,
Just a quick question on the super red hawk. Are you happy with the 7 and 1/2" barrel. Do you think there would be merit to step out to the 9. Only disadvantages I can think of are weight, and possibly weilding the gun. Thanks for the advice thus far.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:51 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

7Ultra,

For a big game hunting Revolver, I much prefer the 7 1/2" barrel over the 9 1/2" barrel. I have the long barrel in a 44 Mag and it is very accurate but a pain in the rear to pack in the field, hell, a 12" barreled Encore is shorter, lighter and vastly more accurate and powerful then a 9 1/2" revolver.

In my opinion, a 6 1/2" barrel would be even better. Remember that big bore revolvers are not like high intensity rifles, the extra barrel really will not add much if any in the way of increased velocity, just added barrel weight which can be a good thing in stabilizing the handgun for a shot but its more of an annoyance in my opinion when packing in the field.

I have a 4 5/8" barrel on my Blackhawk in 45 Colt and LOVE IT!!! This is mainly for a pack gun for protection against bears but I have used it in the field for deer and a few +300 lb Russian Boars and it works very well out to around 50 yards which is about the limit in which I can hold tight enough groups with the open sighted short barreled Blackhawk.

For a dedicated big bore big game revolver, I round recommend at least 5.5" but not more then 7.5".

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 02-18-2005, 01:24 PM
Silver Member

Kirby,

Email sent. The 6.5 WSM sounds fascinating.