Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

416 Lathe Turned Bullets

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2012, 07:50 PM

416 Lathe Turned Bullets

Looking to make 416 Barrett bullets as I dont like spending $1.50ea. for just a bullet when I have access to the tooling to turn these little suckers.

Cant find any bullet dimensions, brass type used, or machine language files to plug into the CNC to do this.

Anyone have this information or know where I may get it that wont make a vendor cringe that his trade secret is out?

Thanks
Old 02-03-2012, 10:08 AM
Platinum Member

Re: 416 Lathe Turned Bullets

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukieast View Post
Looking to make 416 Barrett bullets as I dont like spending $1.50ea. for just a bullet when I have access to the tooling to turn these little suckers.

Cant find any bullet dimensions, brass type used, or machine language files to plug into the CNC to do this.

Anyone have this information or know where I may get it that wont make a vendor cringe that his trade secret is out?

Thanks
Fat chance, but you could order some bore tech bullets and take measurements your self. Do a rockwell hardness to determine proper hardness. Maybe take it and get it analyzed to determine metallurgical composition. Bullet turning is going to be a trade secret. You could always call a manufacturer and see if they will share.

If you have the machine (oscilloscope I think its called) you put an object on that shows its shadowed profile, you could determine angles. If you can machine you can determine this stuff with a little detective work.
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!
Old 02-04-2012, 11:37 AM

Liltank-

Are ya thinkin about an optical comparator.

Paul
Old 02-04-2012, 12:03 PM

Well, I got the metal material used, one guy did tell me that. However, as figured anyone who has done this for a business is not giving up the dimensions. So it will be the hard way at this point.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulB. View Post
Liltank-

Are ya thinkin about an optical comparator.

Paul
YES! I knew I was off on my terminology. Concept was sound though!!!!
Matthew 7:13-14
"Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. [14] But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

If you find your self in a fair fight, your tactics suck!- Marine 1st Sergeant Jim Ryfinger

Friends don't let friends develop canonitis!-chucknbach

arguing over the internet is like the special Olympics....even if you win, you are still...special!