Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

375 Tejas(RUM Improved) Barrel

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2013, 01:00 PM

375 Tejas(RUM Improved) Barrel

Hey there, so I'm pretty set on building a 375 Tejas (possibly modified slightly, but essentially the same thing), The one thing I haven't decided on is barrel length. What would you all suggest? My father-in-law has a 31" barrel and I love how it shoots, I was thinking maybe 28", but I still want it to shoot at least as well as my father-in-law's gun. Do you think those 3" would make much difference? or how about if I went with 26" or less. I would like to be able to carry it around easier, but how much would I be compromising? Interested to hear all your thoughts on the matter. Thanks.
Old 11-08-2013, 03:20 PM
Gold Member

Re: 375 Tejas(RUM Improved) Barrel

28" from 31" would probably mean less than 50fps loss because the case capacity to bore size is relatively low. From there on the loss in fps will become greater as you cut it shorter.
Old 11-09-2013, 01:02 PM

Re: 375 Tejas(RUM Improved) Barrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoCTD View Post
28" from 31" would probably mean less than 50fps loss because the case capacity to bore size is relatively low. From there on the loss in fps will become greater as you cut it shorter.
Ok, someone was actually telling me that last week. Although he was saying it didn't matter much past 24", I think he was probably thinking of cartridges more like a 308 though. The RUM is nice and big