Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

375 rum custom build options/ideas??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2013, 01:15 PM
Gold Member

375 rum custom build options/ideas??

Alrighty guys I've got a Remington m700 lss 375 rum and I'm looking for ideas on how to set it up. I'd like a long heavier contour barrel that will do well with the 350gr pill range. Plan to single feed.

Looking to use it for extreme long range.

How would you set it up? Keeping it pretty open to get lots of ideas please!! Think of it as a free build only boundrys are .375 cal and a Remington m700 action! Lol

Thanks in advance for your help!

Riley: "Biggest fail of 2014 so far..."
http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...72/index4.html

Last edited by 500mag_guy; 09-11-2013 at 03:13 PM.
Old 09-11-2013, 01:52 PM
Platinum Member

Re: 375 rum custom build options/ideas??

well well well, look who couldnt stand to leave well enough alone haha. as you know mine is getting a #5 Benchmark as we speak. its actually a 5.5 the muzzle is .712 finish at 26" I went with a 10 twist in the 5C rifling and I think itll be about right for the 270TSX which is my primary bullet but also i have enough twist if I wanna play with the big CE bullets. I think if you are going to be packing it I wouldnt go much heavier than about a #6 26-28" long. and I think the 10 twist should do anything you want to do. I am very interested to see what you decide on. then at the end we can compare notes.

Get a JOB! I already feed the bears, I dont need to feed you too!

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 09-11-2013, 02:07 PM
Gold Member

Haha I was wondering how long it would be before you found this thread! Did you decide to go with another rum or the h&h?

It's kind of all up in the air right now. I'd think 28-30" would be handy. And who knows maybe a 375 rum improved?

I don't know every time I go into the safe and see it there I just imagine all the possiblities and potential for this caliber beyond a stock rifle!

Old 09-11-2013, 02:30 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500mag_guy View Post
Haha I was wondering how long it would be before you found this thread! Did you decide to go with another rum or the h&h?

It's kind of all up in the air right now. I'd think 28-30" would be handy. And who knows maybe a 375 rum improved?

I don't know every time I go into the safe and see it there I just imagine all the possiblities and potential for this caliber beyond a stock rifle!

I came to my sences and went with the RUM... no reason not to. I like your thought process, however I have to say im not a big fan of the improved for the reason of the rum case is already pretty straight walled any straighter with a hot load you have very little taper to aid in extraction... just my thoughts. However my build is geared more toward hunting where as yours sound like its more like a long range target/ hunting when you will likely have a lot more time on your hands.

" Real elk guns start with the number 3 or bigger and blow two holes, one in and one out." - My Dad
Old 09-11-2013, 03:10 PM
Gold Member

Glad to here you stuck with the rum.

And you bring up a very good point with the improved.. I have a good feeling that with the right length barrel the rum will produce the velocity.

What do you think a guy could get for velocity out of a 28-30" tube?

Mainly hunting but I just won't walk 10 miles that day lol

Old 09-11-2013, 03:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500mag_guy View Post
Glad to here you stuck with the rum.

And you bring up a very good point with the improved.. I have a good feeling that with the right length barrel the rum will produce the velocity.

What do you think a guy could get for velocity out of a 28-30" tube?

Mainly hunting but I just won't walk 10 miles that day lol

I dont know but the 26" has been nothing short of impressive... i guess 75-100 fps per inch

Old 09-11-2013, 04:16 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkamike View Post
I dont know but the 26" has been nothing short of impressive... i guess 75-100 fps per inch
I'd probably have to have close to a 30" tube to get 3k then ya think ?