Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

.375 H & H vs. .458 Lott

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2013, 05:50 PM
Silver Member

Re: .375 H & H vs. .458 Lott

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudRunner2005 View Post
If you just have to have a huge bore rifle with tons of recoil.....Why not just go with a .375 or .408 Cheytac and be done with it.

If you want something that produces so much force, shock, and velocity when it passes through, that it sucks their head clean out of their ass, why not go for the gold...... .50 BMG with a 750gr A-Max.
I already have a couple of rifles with decent recoil. BA 110 .338 Lapua Magnum
and a .45/70 which I shoot 500gr rounds.

This isn't just about having a "huge bore" rifle but a good hunting rifle for large/dangerous game. Dragging a .408 CheyTac or a .50 thru the woods is not really not a good choice. At least for me.
Old 06-20-2013, 06:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technologist View Post
How is the .416 remington (or anything) a good start? The thread starter has not even specified what he will be hunting.
well the average .375 thru .458 is not what most would call a target grade round. Yet there a few folks that just like shooting big bores for the fun of it. You don't think about buying a .458 Lott without thinking about hunting. That's what it was designed for.
gary
Old 06-20-2013, 07:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdslammer View Post
I already have a couple of rifles with decent recoil. BA 110 .338 Lapua Magnum
and a .45/70 which I shoot 500gr rounds.

This isn't just about having a "huge bore" rifle but a good hunting rifle for large/dangerous game. Dragging a .408 CheyTac or a .50 thru the woods is not really not a good choice. At least for me.
I know why you want it man....I'm just messing with you. Note the at the end of the posts.

Trust me I want a .50 BMG just to have one to shoot down power line areas that are open for miles, and ultra long range steel targets. Might sound cruel, but I think some 2,500 yard coyote hunting would be kinda fun. LOL

"Give me a minute...I'm good. Give me an hour...I'm great. Give me 6 months...And I'm unbeatable." - Col. Hannibal Smith

Ignore everything I say, because I have a reading comprehension and memory problem...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildRose View Post
The 284 is to the STW what a tricycle is to a Ninja.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:00 PM
Bronze Member

i have a 458 lott and let me tell you itwill giveyou a nose bleed in about 5 shots without hitting you nose. i did some trading for it with the intent of letting other people shoot it just to get the reaction and let me tell you it is good.
as far as hunting with it i probably would if i needed to but thats why i have other rifles to choose from.