Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels and Ballistics

375 Cheytac Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2009, 03:44 PM

375 Cheytac Questions

Hi There,

Have been a member on this forum for a while now, but never posted. there is a wealth of great stuff on here and i find myself spending hours reading it.

I am based in the UK and i would really like to build a 375 Cheytac. In an ideal world i would just go with a Lawton 8000L plus barrel and muzzle brake, Manners T4A stock, and away i go. But i can't find anyone who imports Lawton stuff in the UK. all my other rigs have been built on Stiller actions, either Tacs or Predators.

I know Lawton seem to be the people with the most experience in this caliber, other than Kirby's 375 AM, or the 375 Snipe-Tac, but i need to build this rifle with components which i can get readily here in the UK, so i was thinking of going with a single shot Predator XL or TAC 338, and then adding a barrel, possibly Walther, but am open to suggestions.

The part where i am stumped is the correct barrel twist rate, and whether or not i should be concerned about the bore diameter of non Lawton barrels, i know they produce slightly over size bores to accomodate high BC solid bullets.

I will most likely be using 350gn SMKs and GS Custom SP bullets. shooing to sub 2000yds, (which is about half the length of england!!)

Any help, info, or advice would be most welcome,

Regards

Paddy
Old 08-29-2009, 04:43 PM
Gold Member

Re: 375 Cheytac Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by danpd13 View Post
Hi There,

Have been a member on this forum for a while now, but never posted. there is a wealth of great stuff on here and i find myself spending hours reading it.

I am based in the UK and i would really like to build a 375 Cheytac. In an ideal world i would just go with a Lawton 8000L plus barrel and muzzle brake, Manners T4A stock, and away i go. But i can't find anyone who imports Lawton stuff in the UK. all my other rigs have been built on Stiller actions, either Tacs or Predators.

I know Lawton seem to be the people with the most experience in this caliber, other than Kirby's 375 AM, or the 375 Snipe-Tac, but i need to build this rifle with components which i can get readily here in the UK, so i was thinking of going with a single shot Predator XL or TAC 338, and then adding a barrel, possibly Walther, but am open to suggestions.

The part where i am stumped is the correct barrel twist rate, and whether or not i should be concerned about the bore diameter of non Lawton barrels, i know they produce slightly over size bores to accomodate high BC solid bullets.

I will most likely be using 350gn SMKs and GS Custom SP bullets. shooing to sub 2000yds, (which is about half the length of england!!)

Any help, info, or advice would be most welcome,

Regards

Paddy
Paddy,

Welcome to the board !

When you find the answer to the question about twist rate.. Let me know too.

This is the grey area with this calibre. So many views on what to go with , hey ?

I love the idea of the calibre as well for the performance but I am confused too. I would want to shoot both solids and lead core bullets on game at range. It think Lawtons LR bore will shoot both and I think its 1.11.5 ? COuld be wrong.

Dont mean to sound stupid, but cant you import an action yourself ? We can on Aus .

DUH
Old 08-29-2009, 05:33 PM

Hey DUH,

I was thinking of the 1-11.5 twist, but then i read a whole load of different articles with different twist rates.... and got all confused!!! i thnk i will be happy just shooting the currently available bullets now, and if something incredible happens in the future then i will re-barrell.

re importing an action, i am not a firearms dealer so it makes it difficult, plus there is a $400 fee for an export license, and as i am not a distributor/dealer i won't get favourable pricing.... once you add import duties etc, it makes it rather an expensive proposition, so it would be better to find someone who already has the necessary paperwork/contacts in place.

regards

Paddy
Old 08-29-2009, 07:18 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by danpd13 View Post
Hi There,

so i was thinking of going with a single shot Predator XL or TAC 338, and then adding a barrel, possibly Walther, but am open to suggestions.

Paddy
You cannot build a .408 based wildcat on either of those actions! They are designed for the .338 Lapua case.
Old 08-30-2009, 02:19 AM

Quote:
You cannot build a .408 based wildcat on either of those actions! They are designed for the .338 Lapua case.
Hi Joel,

I was only going by what my friend who is the SPF agent over here was told when he spoke to Curtis at Stillers. I guess he must have meant the Python action then?.He just told me that from time to time they do a run of big actions which can handle CheyTac based stuff, and if i want one i should say ASAP, as they just happen to be doing one right now.

do you think i would be wrong to use a Stiller action for this project?
Old 08-30-2009, 05:23 AM
Silver Member

Sounds like you were told about Stillers new TAC 408, Cheytac sized case action with pinned .300 recoil lug going for $950, but you weren't given or remembered the name. If you can't get the Lawton, I'd recommend going with Stiller's TAC 408.
Old 08-30-2009, 06:36 AM
Official LRH Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 358sta View Post
Sounds like you were told about Stillers new TAC 408, Cheytac sized case action with pinned .300 recoil lug going for $950, but you weren't given or remembered the name. If you can't get the Lawton, I'd recommend going with Stiller's TAC 408.

Correct. However I strongly disagree on building on the Lawton over the Stiller.
The quality of the Stiller far exceeds that of the Lawton.

I have a few on the Lawton, and building one on the new Stiller TAC 408 now.