Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

375 Caliber A-max...might be a possibility. Please read.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2013, 07:07 PM
Platinum Member

Location: The rifle range, or archery range or behind the computer in Alaska
Re: 375 Caliber A-max...might be a possibility. Please read.

I'm sure there would be a lot more 375 long range shooters if there was a better selection of bullets for the would work well for long range applications. Amaxs certainly work well for long range applications.
Long range shooting is a process that ends with a result. Once you start to focus on the result (how bad your last shot was, how big the group is going to be, what your buck will score, what your match score is, what place you are in...) then you loose the capacity to focus on the process.
Old 12-26-2013, 08:27 PM
Silver Member

Hey Lefty...

I would think you could get pretty close to that number with one of my RUM's
Old 12-26-2013, 08:54 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublezranch View Post
Hey Lefty...

I would think you could get pretty close to that number with one of my RUM's
You should be able to... the 338 rum and edge will do it with 300's given enough bbl.. Something like the 250 gmx with a bit more weight/ bc would help a lot. I know the 260 ab hurts when you touch them off and they group decently so bonded is a possibility.
The 375 h@h will flat scream in the data that barnes #4 has. I have some v540 around; I may have to try that stuff with the 300tsx; They are quoting 2655 fps from the 300 tsx (I'm at 2550 with I 4320) and 2800 fps with the solid. I've been wanting to build up some engine block busters anyway; or are they big bore coyote loads??

I hate to rework a good shooting load though....
I'll probably build up a group or three and see whether their data has merit or they simply have a fast rifle.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:25 PM
Silver Member

I'm not a big fan of the a max for hunting purposes. However, if it gives us a bullet with a .8xx bc or better and under $2 a bullet... It's a win win.
Old 12-26-2013, 09:37 PM
Silver Member

Bullet selection is the only thing keeping my next build from being a 375. I'm sure there are quite a few more just like me. Really wish Berger would do it but I'd love to see Hornady get the ball rolling
Old 12-26-2013, 11:17 PM
Silver Member

375 tejas shooting rocks and steel, hunting mostly elk, 100-200 per year, the cheaper the bullet the more I will shoot.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Kiser View Post
Bullet selection is the only thing keeping my next build from being a 375. I'm sure there are quite a few more just like me. Really wish Berger would do it but I'd love to see Hornady get the ball rolling
Hornady, Sierra, and Nosler are all capable. They just seem to not even wet a finger and stick it up to find the way the wind is blowing anymore. They're all too busy putting out existing stuff, and if they don't watch it they will eventually succumb to the obstinance that eventually weakens mature businesses. The only refreshing thing I've seen out of them in the last few years is the lrab, and I'm not sure that was much more than a design update for their tipped pills to keep from eating Berger's dust in the BC department.