Long Range Hunting Online Magazine

Go Back   Long Range Hunting Online Magazine > Rifles, Reloading, Optics, Equipment > Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics

Rifles, Bullets, Barrels & Ballistics Applied Ballistics

375 Allen Mag load data ready, with pics...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2008, 12:23 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

GG,

In my opinion, its a much better chambering then the 338 wildcats based on the 408 CT case. The reason for that is mainly in barrel life and a greatly widened selection of very good powders that can be used very effectively.

As you already correctly mentioned, the limitation was bullets. If there had been a quality long range bullet or a couple of them, the 375 cal would have certainly been the best choice. That is not to say the 338 is not a good round, its by far the most potent long range chambering that can be chambered in a conventional sized rifle.

Right now, bullets are starting to come on line and by spring, hopefully there will be at least three lead core bullet designs for 375 shooters including the 350 gr SMK and some heavier weight custom bullets.

Now if the dang wind would stop, I would be able to get out and test at some serious range and see what the 350 gr SMK will actually do at long range, it has been a proven accurate bullet but not at these velocity levels so we will have to see.

There is also more to come in my 410 Allen Magnum which will be around this spring as well. I have been talking to another bullet maker that is currently making a lead core bullet for the 408 CT in the 400 to 420 gr range. Again, BC is not extreme but its good and will be much more user friendly then any solid, not to mention legal to hunt with in all western states. This has been what I have been waiting for for my 410 Allen Magnum and now its a go.

Basically, its the same as the 375 AM, shoulder moved forward slightly and fireformed to the AM shoulder and body configuration.

Formed brass will be available for the 410 AM just as it is available now for the 338 and 375 Allen Magnum so no fireforming headaches will be there.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

Farther, Faster and Flatter then ever before.

Web Page: www.apsrifles.com

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 02-07-2008, 12:27 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Comfisherman,

Not exactly sure, comparing to other 338 vs 375 caliber chambering with same capacity, it would appear that we can expect around 20% more barrel life. That is just an estimate as there have not been alot of comparisions between this class of chamberings in these two calibers.

That said, have you heard of many 378 Wby rifles that have had their barrels burnt out? How about 375 RUMs?

I would estimate that barrel life for the 375 AM would be very similiar to that of the 338-378 Wby. In the end, it comes down to how the barrel is cared for and if it is overheated or not.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting
Home of the Allen Magnum, Allen Xpress and Allen Tactical Wildcats and the Painkiller Muzzle brakes.

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 02-07-2008, 06:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
As far as 3000 yards, I suspect it will not reach 3000 yards with consistant accuracy. The reasoning for my opinion, the 300 gr 338 SMK driven to 3400 fps will not break 2700 yards with consistant velocity and thats with a BC in the .8 range. The 375 Allen Magnum with the 350 gr SMK will not offer any more maximum reach but it will offer nearly the same energy payload with a larger frontal area bullet that weighs more.

As such, it will be dramatically more authoritative on big game at long range.

Reaching 3000 yards with consistant accuracy is a serious challange. In fact the only combo I have witnessed to it is my 338 AM and then only when loaded with the ultra high BC 265 gr AT RBBT loaded to nearly 3500 fps!!!

You need to quite building rifles for a while and build us a good affordable rangefinder, or else we all need to pool our money and buy one and take turns. The situation is just ridiculous, the rifles are cheaper than the rangefinders.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:48 AM
Silver Member

I hope somebody comes up with affordable projectiles for the 375 with BC in the 1.2 range. Maybe widcat can build one similar to the 265 338. I have some of the Vikings on the way, cant wait to test them.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:10 AM
Silver Member

Kirby,

That 375AM sounds devistating. What would your ideal set-up be as far as the gun goes? action, barrel length and twist, over-all gun weight, etc.

Thanks for the info.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:56 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Augustus,

I do not think you will see any +1 BC bullets in 375 caliber. THe reason mainly is that we are wanting a lead core bullet. That will limit us to around .9 to .95 in BC which would be more then enough and about what the 265 gr AT RBBT is producing.

Solids are great but your limited to what barrels will work well with specific bullets and also many areas require an expanding or flat point type of bullet for big game hunting.

Plus, we do not want to deal with any extremely radical barrel twists. 1-10 is about as fast as I want to work with in this class of chambering, same as with the 338 Allen Magnum. THe reason is because as you get faster in twist rate, the effects of enviornmental conditions show up more dramatically down range. For instance, the velocity shift over 60 degree air temps will be much different in a 1-10 twist barrel then it would be in say a 1-7 twist. Add to that we are dealing with nearly 150 gr powder capacities and the effect of the envir. conditions will make even more of a dramatic difference.

We need consistancy and with this large of a powder capacity, we really need a comfortable rifling twist to help us out. Sure it would be nice to have a 1.5 BC bullet but in all reality, the consistancy of a .9 BC bullet would be much more usible in the field throughout the year.

If we can get some high .8 to low .9 BC bullets, I would be happy as could be.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com
Old 02-08-2008, 01:09 PM
Official LRH Sponsor

Jimbo300,

Well, it depends on what you want to do with the rifle. For a heavy bench type rifle, I would go with the following which would come out to around a 30-35 lb rifle depending on how you had the stock weighted:

BAT model M 8.5x1.55 single shot
BAT 40 moa rail base
Jewell trigger 1.5 to 8 oz model set at 6 oz(personal preference)
30" 1.450" straight cylinder Lilja 1-10 barrel
Heavy 7/16" flutes(just for looks!!)
My APS 3 port compact muzzle brake
Matte or teflon coated finish on all metal surfaces
McMillan MBR Tooley 1000 yard BR stock
APS Hybrid pillar bedding w/ stainless steel pillars
ADL steel trigger guard
NF NXS 5.5-22x 50mm w/ NP-R1 reticle
NF 30mm Ultralight rings
Scopelevel

If you wanted a mdeium weight big game rifle, roughly in the 20 lb range

Same receiver
Same rail base
30" Allen32 contour from Kreiger or Lilja(0.950" muzzle diameter)
3/8" flutes
My APS 5 port Slab brake
Matte or teflon coated surfaces
Jewell trigger 1.5 oz to 3 lb model set at 1.5 lbs(personal preference)
McMillan A-5 tactical stock with adjustable CP
APS stainless steel pillar bedding
ADL steel trigger guard.
NF Ultralight rings
NF NXS 5.5-22x 50mm NP-R1 reticle
Scopelevel
scope mounted ACI
Harris 9-13" swivel model bipod

If you wanted a lightweight model, roughly 15 to 16 lbs, this would be my recommendation:

Same receiver
Same rail base
28" Lilja "Ultralight Allen32" contour, 0.800" muzzle diameter
Heavy 3/8" flutes
APS 4 port slab brake
Same trigger as above
Same stock but using lightest fill possible(not Edge technology however)
Fixed cheek piece to save on weight
NF Ultralight rings
NF NXS 3.5-15x 50mm NP-R1 reticle
Scopelevel
Scope mounted ACI
Same finishes
ADL Aluminum trigger guard
Harris 9-13 swivel bipod

Those would be my choices for the perfect platform for this type of rifle depending on if you wanted a bench type gun, a big game rifle with some portability or a relatively portable big game rifle.

Kirby Allen(50)

Allen Precision Shooting

allenmagnum@gmail.com